Mowing leaving stragglers

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cbkc, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

PJ - My 2004 Super Z is having trouble with the finish of the cut. It is leaving "stragglers" or strands of uncut grass so I have to mow each yard twice. I tried using a high-lift blade and also a set of gator blades with a medium lift and it doesn't seem to help either way. It seems ok when I'm only cutting off 1/2" or so of Kentucky Blue Grass but when I'm cutting off 2" or so it's missing a lot and it looks like it's pushing down the lighter crabgrass type weeds instead of cutting them. Any advice on what I should try? I cleaned the underside of the deck and sharpened the blades again to eliminate any obvious causes and can't seem to find a solution. I'm wanting to make one pass instead of mowing each yard twice for obvious time and money savings. There is a gravely diesel that cuts properties near me and he isn't having the same trouble on the same type of properties...help!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont recall if you updated your deck opening and are using the Fusion blades with the spacer kit?
    Let me know.

Pj

3. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

2 things that worked for me; high lifts and sharp blades-ESPECIALLY THE CORNERS ARE NOT ROUNDED AT ALL. The sharp corners are the most important!!

4. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

why hustler doesn't use longer blades for more blade overlap? 4 example, 61'' deck bldes with 2/3 more overlap distribution between left and central blade?

5. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I should buy another set of blades anyway. I tried the high lift blades but it seems to really put a strain on the mower when going up hills so I have been using the standard lift gator blades.

PJ - I don't have the enlarged opening, can you send me instructions on how to do this? I'm assuming I can do this on my own? Can you describe "fusion" blades in detail?

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you email me I will email you back the information on the deck opening enlargement.
    The Fusion blades have been on commercial Hustler's since 2005 / 2006, they are sharpened almost to the center to help with a better cut, they are also Fusion treated to provide a harder cutting edge for longer blade life and stays sharper longer.

Pj