Mowing near a lake with a slight drop off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

How do most of you guys do it when you are mowing near a small drop off or near water? Get as close as you can and then just trim? I have a rider and a walk behind and I know the WTB is safer but man do I hate to change out mowers just to run it along that "just to be safe" strip right next to the water.

Any advice?
  2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Yeah, I get as close as I can then use the trimmer. Most of my accounts need a good trim along the waterline, anyway.

I use a hydro walk behind though. The rider would make me nervous, too.
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i do also, use the string trimmer along the water about 3 to 4 feet up, left, right, left, right, left, right, then use the z the rest of the :dancing:
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

This reminds me of that thread where the guy fell off the drop off and the z was on top of him. Killed him, that was 20 feet or so but still... someone should give him link to that thread.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

man killed in 4feet of water with only 6 inch drop off.....
  6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya, i remember reading that one also...even though my drop off is only 2 feet or less, it can still happen, row over and get pinned under the z..thats why i go left, right, left, right..
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It may be a pain to get the wb off the trailer but I'd say saftey first. The edges usually need a good trim anyway like others have said.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Dropoff....Near Water....

Need to practice safety on this type of situation.
    I agree with most above, use a WB mower close to the edge (watch for soft turf that might give way), then trim the rest. No Z's please, that would make me very nervous.
  9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get your WB out or make sure that your ROPS is up and you are buckled in! That is what I do.

I mow no closer than 1 1/2 deck widths from the edge of the water and then either get the WB or trim depending on my mood.

Either way, even being where I am I still go up with the ROPS and seat belt!
  10. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

That was at Dale Jarret's house, someone get the link but I recommend the w/b or just trimming it. Here in Florida the ground is flat so we don't have hills, but we have lakes and drop offs. I use a 21 so I can get close to the lake, but at my job, we have a 36" Gravely and we get as close as possible and leave a strip of grass about a foot wide to trim.