Mowing on a slope with a 0-Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timscherer, Mar 20, 2008.

1. timscherer

timscherer LawnSite Member

I am new to this business, and new to using 0-Turn Mowers. I would like to know what is the steepest slope a 61" Zero Turn Mower can handle mowing along side of a slope. I have a commercial property that I am in the process of writing a bid proposal for, and along side of there property is a 20'-25' slope that meets with the road at the bottom of slope. The slope is approx. 7' in height and 20'-22' in length. So it trigs out at approx. 20' angle.

The 0-Turn mower that I am using is a 61" Ferris IS2000Z. Can I safely make this cut without sliding and possibly rolling the mower. If not, is there another way to approach this slope issue? Can I approach it from the bottom of the slope and angle up to the top of slope? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Choppers Mowing & Services

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

is it possible to go over the crest of the hill to make the turn and come back down the hill? or do you have to make the turn while you are on the angle?

i have some properties that are probably steeper than 20* but i have no obstacles at the tops or bottoms, and i am pretty in tune with my mower by now, i can tell when im pushing it to hard and it wants to break traction. i have a ferris is1500z

3. timscherer

ProTouch Groundscapes,

Thanks for your reply. To answer you question, at the top of slope there are several trees that run parallel to the slope. At the bottom of the slope is a road that it meets with, so there is not much of a landing per say at the bottom. It looks like I can handle the angle going with the slope, I just wanted confirmation from somebody with more seat time than I have had.

How do you like your Ferris, have you had any issues with it mowing along side slopes?

Thanks again,
    Tim

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Do you have a w/b mower you can use? or only the Z-turn? I would rather take the w/b off the trailer to do a slope or hill anyday...JMO

5. timscherer

Raven386,

All I have is a 0-Turn for now, I am in the market for a W/B. But untill I buy one, I will need to tackle all my jobs with the 0-Turn. Or just avoid bidding on the jobs with steep slopes - lol.

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Slopes can be tricky. As already mentioned, if you have a wb, even a 21", that would probably be a better choice. Also, slopes can be your worst nightmare when mowing them horizontally as suggested. The trim side of the deck can dig into the ground, because of the angle of the slope, and tear the turf and property up. One of my first large multi-acre properties gave me this experience when I first got my Z. I was humbled at first, but it was a good learning experience.

7. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

Most ztr will take up to about 20 degree slopes anything more than that I would recommend a wb. I have found that starting at the bottom of the hill going up from side to side is the most effective way to tackle a hill w/ a rider.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

my ferris can handle slopes pretty well, ive just learned when to turn and how fast, because if you swing it around too quickly you can lose traction really easily. ive ended up mowing grass going horizontally with the rear of the mower lower then the front b/c the grass was so slick and the distance from the bottom to top of the slope was too small and i had nowhere to turn around. i hate that property and they are gonna get a big price increase this year.

9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i would start from the bottom ,mow as much as you feel safe mowing then weedeat the rest. my.2

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the reply I gave...
    How steep is it? How high is it, compared to how wide? you mentioned it was approx. 7 ft. high, ut how wide is it...was that the 20" you mentioned?
    Anyway, if in the event this can be done, you will always want to start at the bottom of the hill, and move crosswise, working your wa row by row up to the top. Under NO circumstances, will you ever steer toward the bottom of the hill. In other words, you always keep your front p. As a matter of fact, to be safe, after you are finished reaching the top, you should back down...especially considering there is a road below. Once a Z starts sliding forward down a hill, that's it. You're pretty much just along for the ride.