Mowing on easter?!?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by flyingdutch16, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Mowing on easter?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

87 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

the way I see it, I work for them.

they are the one hiring me and writing a check to me.

it's not really them dictating when I work. most clients know I work any day of the week if I'm behind. that includes Sundays and holidays. it's more of them checking to make sure I'm coming since it is Easter and some do take it off.

I'm gonna assume my clients feel the same way I do towards there neighbors and aren't concerned what they think. I have to make a living. I don't live in some small town where everything shuts down. people still work. lots of home owners can be seen doing there own yard work. almost nothing shuts down due to Easter. shopping centers and restaurants are still open.

2. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

No working for me today, commercial lots are always done on weekends but this is an exception. Will catch back up on them tomorrow.

3. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't understand people. I worked today, but out of respect I didn't run any equipment, I did some bed edging and cultivating and even used a broom so I wouldn't disturb people who do take it as a religious holiday.

But I am not religious so its just another day to me. I guess the one house was having some family over and one guy shows up and said " Jesus isn't going to be happy with you" I didn't really say anything I was pretty shocked actually, I mean for one he was holding a Tims coffee....what about those people working?!? did he get mad at them for serving his coffee....doubt it. And judging by the plates on his truck we probably had to drive 2 hours to get here so is he going to say some snarky comment to the gas attendant who fills up his car?

Yes I could have waited till next week to service the property but it was a beautiful day, I spend Good Friday with my family and I wasn't about to waste a lovely day sitting in front of the tv or my computer.

Rant over.... I guess to answer your poll...No cutting today. haha

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

5. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Don't mind Yardguy, EVERY TIME a major holiday rolls around he will make a point to comment on the inevitable "Are you working on _________?" thread and let us know he is out working...

Not coming at you Yardguy, just stating the facts *trucewhiteflag*

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I find at times my business runs me and at other times I run my business. Keeping control over weekends, holidays and such is off limits and mine alone.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That how I feel too.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Mowing on Easter are your kidding that's a good way to get yourself fired. That said I and my partner let the guys have the day off and we did a spring clean up on a machine shop. They seem to work 2-3 shifts 7 days a week and the only time they aren't open are holidays. And there is no way to deal with a 1000 pounds of sand with 50 plus cars in the lot so we picked their day off the only one they have. Did I enjoy it nope but 500 dollars is always welcome and kept a client with 3 major properties happy.

10. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I'm the same way unless it's winter than it's gotta be done.