Mowing on easter?!?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by flyingdutch16, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Mowing on easter?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

87 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I was , did my own house good way to enjoy Thanksgiving, working in the yard on a fall day.

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be true, but I disagree with the blanket statement. I have a couple of neighbors that spend the complete day working in the yard and they enjoy that. I have 4 acres and do the same sometimes. Yes I have 2 72"s and can get the yard done in about an hour with a helper. But on somedays I will fire up the smoker and smoke some ribs and mow and weedeat and trim bushes and trees the complete day.

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually find most home owners do there yard work on the weekend even if they could have it done it during the week.

so if every Tom, dick and Harry is out mowing there lawn on sat or sun what's wrong with me being out too???

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, I think the sound of a choice V-twin adds a LOT to the mix.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would rather fire up the smoker and do something else besides yard work. To each his own. I typically disagree with blanket statements as a whole too. I have clients that love to mow their yard and such but the pay me to do irrigation and lawn treatments. That is just me.

6. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

In our neck of the woods like most areas you have two operations that exist. First are the "legitimate" operations with multiple crews, employees and such they typically run Monday through Friday anywhere from 40 to 60 hours per week and might use weekends to catch up mainly Saturdays if they do they are typically four to six hour days.

Then there are the part timers that are working for beer money and such and they will work Saturday and Sunday long hours and such so it doesn't really matter what you do it is all a matter of priorities.

Matt

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

oh there's more than 2 types of operations.

there's the 2 you mentioned then the solo guys who work any days needed to stay on schedule or catch up when behind, including sat and sun.

yes it is a matter of priorities. someone with a family to spend the holidays with will most likely do so because that's a priority. someone who would otherwise spend the holiday alone might elect to work the holiday.

8. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Yardguy:

It is a balance sometimes you win and sometimes the need of the business wins. I know, everybody on here knows that we all started our operations for three basic things MONEY, CONTROL, and FREEDOM. That is what being in business gives you. Yes our customers are our boss but we control how we handle them. If they do not like us or we do not like them then most of us will part ways. In my business I have worked every holiday once some multiple times due to weather, snow or break downs it will happen.

I make a point to do everything possible to not. Have a good day

Matt

9. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I try not to mow on sundays anyhow

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

yardguy, I really don't know why you try to stir this up around every holiday but I went through your posts. You post during the day almost every single day. You are so busy out working that you have to work on easter, but you have time to post during the day. Please give it a rest.