Mowing on weekends and evening (after work)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering how those who work full time mon-fri day shift hours and mow in the evening and weekends have been received by residential customers? Any complaints about being there on the weekend mowing? Did you advertise work will be performed on the weekend or inform them during the estimate?
  2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers don't know I have another full-time job. I show up on the same day of the week every week. Some people won't care. Other people will call at 3:30pm wondering where the heck you are. If you're up front with people most won't care too much. I'm pretty anti-social so I just do my thing and answer questions if people ask.
  3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I prefer not to tell my customers about my full time job. If they ask, I will tell them. Really only a few know.

I haven't had a complaint yet, but I'm also careful about it. I try to cut off by 6:30pm when the sun is still out. I think 7pm is too late to be mowing. As for weekends, I leave saturday open incase of rain during the week. Absolutely no mowing on Sunday's.
  4. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

All of my customers know i work full time , and if anything changes i call them. Most of my customers i never see, i call or text them the end of the month and they just send a check.
  5. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

I'm completely up front with telling my potential customers that I am only mowing on a part time schedule while I build my business. Usually this is done upon first meeting them in person. Most are ok with when ever I can fit them into my schedule. While others are adamant about no work on the weekends. Those I schedule through the week. I also inform them that due to weather or unforeseen circumstances I may have to be there on a Sunday to perform the service. At that time I tell them if this is a problem then I will make necessary scheduling adjustments to be there on a weekday. I try not to work at all on Sunday but with only having a limited amount of time it is necessary sometimes. I maintain a open line of communication with my customers. Basically as long as I'm there when I am supposed to and get the work done their happy. I save my vacation and sick days for make up days.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. zwhit81

zwhit81 LawnSite Member

I have 33 accounts and looking to grow to 40 this season. I have never once had a customer get mad that I mow on evenings and weekends. I would suggest not showing up at 7am on a sat morning. I mow churches on Friday evening and sat am and then go to my residential customers later in the day. On sundays I try to stay away from residential unless I am really backed up by rain. I reserve sundays for some old cemeteries that very few people visit. I think as long as you do a good job and are priced well you will be fine.
  7. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Never had a problem. To be fair, I doubt most customers hear the equipment from inside their houses. One thing I don't do is mow when customers are outside. I'll say hello, wave, and come back another time.

In the spring when it's impossible to keep up there will be days I'm mowing until I can't see any more. And that's not atypical, even for the big guys. People understand that grass grows a lot quicker that time of year and they're just glad you're able to take care of them.
  8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I work a full time job landscaping mon- fri for a company that doesn't mow, so most accounts would have to be mowed on the weekend if it rains Saturday then they would have to b mowed Sunday.
  9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

X2 on this. I do mow till dark some days in the spring and fall. No one has ever said anything they are just amazed I'm able to keep up with it all.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

As a courtesy, I try and avoid mowing occupied residences on the weekend, and since I'm retired from my previous "day job" I normally can accomplish this, but even now if the need arises, I wouldn't hesitate to mow on the weekend.

I've only had two clients through the years request (demand?) I mow on a certain day of the week. One I dropped after just a few weeks. The other was an elderly lady that I knew really well. I'd just mow as close to Friday, which was the "perfect" day for her, as feasible, then listen to her gripe while she was writing the check. :)