Mowing Only pole

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Feb 8, 2005.

What does your business consist of

1. mowing only

2. mowing and fertilizing

3. mowing and misc. jobs

4. all of the above

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this was posted a while back, but i can't seem to find anything on it, How many of you just mow? If you do more than mowing what else do you do. Fert, mulch, cleanup, install, etc...
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mowing, some installs. Mulch,spring cleanup and fall cleanup. I will also do gutter cleaning and just got into snowblowing. Next winter i will continue snowblowing but will also have a PLOW. (thats if my bus. plan works)
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I found that despite what most here seem to think mowing is my most profitable area. And because of that it’s the area I wish to build up the most. The fertilizer is higher profit but thus far we do not have enough of it to depend on it like mowing. Mowing offers the easiest expansion IMO a 2-3 year vet with a head on his shoulders can run a cutting crew very well. When you get into hardscaping and planting that is not the case yes anyone can do that work but running those jobs efficiently is a different story. Plus I for one like eating in the summer mowing is repeat work if you fill your schedule with 5 days of cutting with a 3 man crew that’s adds up to some serious reliable income. When I started I was shocked how little I made off mowing the reason was drive time being new I did not have a thick enough list so 4-5 hours a day could be wheel time. After the first year that changed the numbers of lawns per street went up and the numbers one could do in an hour did as well. I was finding myself doing three 40-dollar lawn cuts in an hour with a 2-man crew. Where only a year before with the same equipment we would struggle to make 45-55 an hour with a 2-man crew.

When the drive time was reduced the profits soared and then all the landscaping jobs I thought would be the real gems of the company faded. So my goals are to increase mowing and fert work every year I would not be surprised if I had 1000 accounts in 5 years time. Then the numbers become so large even the strongest critics have trouble debating the profits of general lawn maintenance. If you look up the richest companies they either do Fert or mowing and the reason they get so big is ease of duplication. I read allot on here say mowing is the bread and butter but the landscaping jobs are the profits to that I say then you are doing something wrong.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The huge majority of my business is mow only. I do have 2 full service accounts and while they do look good and the homeowners are very happy I would just as soon not do them.