Mowing or the Money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Aug 19, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How many would continue mowing/working if you had the money not to?
    I'm not talking rich but could live OK. Would you continue to mow so you have more money or would you stop and enjoy the fruits of your labor ?
    Or would you look for other kinds of work to supplement your income and break up the monotony of the same old thing all the time. Having multiple crews means for the sake of argument, would still be doing the same thing, since you are ultimately responsible for the results.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If I had more money, I would do JUST mowing...that seems to be the most enjoyable....

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'd get out of this business in a heartbeat if I didn't need the money.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely quit mowing except for high paying commercial accounts. Might actually do that anyway. I really enjoy large landscape and irrigation installations for large retail developments and then maintaining those for customers with open checkbooks.
    Mowing crews are the only stress I have as an employer.

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd continue with it, just mowing like Runner, but I'd be VERY VERY picky on who I would mow for. I have some customers who treat me like God, those are the ones I love, and would continue cutting for. :angel:

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would continue on regardless. I love what I do.

7. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

id do only installs
    and id only do them if they were bid high payup

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with ^^^^!

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, if we had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of our lives, we would not do this. We do this honestly because we can make a decent living at it. However, it is not something we LOVE to do, there are too many factors that come into play which can make the job less than enjoyable.
    Sure there's that nice crisp fall morning when the sun is shining, and we are out there mowing and it's a beautiful day, ya we enjoy it. But then there are the bee stings, the poison ivy, hot humid sticky weather, too much rain, fighting heavy grass growth in the spring etc....that makes the "job" less than fun.

Nope, we wouldn't mow anymore, BUT we would do something else on the side. Not only for some extra money but to keep ourselves occupied.

10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm probably the oldest one (or close to it) who visits this site. I have already made mine in life but I will never quit mowing my own yard if I can get aboard the mower. Edging , weedeating, and mowing is what I really enjoy and I just hate to see winter set in and I anxiously await spring to hurry up and get here.

Nosmo -- DOB - 07-30-1941