Mowing order

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turkp15, Jul 5, 2003.

1. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone
    I just wanted to know the order you guys start a lawn. Like do you Edge, weed eat, then mow? which way have you found to be faster?
  2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I have just recently started in business, and I don't have an edger yet. However, it is something that I plan to purchase in the future. My work order for a lawn is as follows: mow, weedeat, and blow. After that, I will do anything else that needs to be done such as, weeding beds, pruning trees and shrubs. Best of luck to you.
  3. WildSide

WildSide LawnSite Member

depnds on crew, but basically, mow, trim, edge, blow.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Once you get to know each yard, you'll be able to trim and edge first, then blow. Leaves a cleaner yard, and is generally quicker when you learn to trim in a manner that allows the mower to make less turns, never back up, and chop or mulch the clippings from trimming and edging. New yards I always mow first for a while until I get a feel for what needs to be trimmed and what can be left for the mower. Five minutes of saved time on each yard is at least a couple of extra yards that you can do that day.
  5. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

trim, edge, mow, then blow.
  6. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

spring and summer
    edge, mow(mulch), trim, then blow

fall and winter
    edge, trim, blow, mow(bag or mulch), blow again if necessary
  7. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

edge trim mow then blow
  8. mikeymike

mikeymike LawnSite Member

My order varies. If I am doing a yard where the grass is really overgrown over the area where I need to edge, then I will edge first and then blow the debris from the edging back onto the yard so that I can just mow over it. If the yard is not bad or my regular customers where the edging has already been well established then I will mow,edge,weed and blow.
  9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Attached is a form that we use that helps to explain the process for how we approach a lawn. This is one of many that we will give to a new employee or current as they take on new job descriptions. As their skill level increases we give them new descriptions. We are developing new ones as we go through the season as we realize that there is something that needs to be covered and we revise the old ones. This then gives the foreman a platform from which to train new employees.

This form is for the most basic overview of how weekly service visits should run/operate.

Attached Files:

10. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

As you have limitations to the manuverability of your mower - how big or small - I like to stringtrim around trees, posts, birdbaths, flowerbeds, in corners, etc. prior to mowing, therefore I can pickup all those clippings too with the mower.
    The other reason for trimming first is:- if I let the mower operator mow first he/she is usually leaving bigger areas to stringtrim and that is frustating, time consuming and hard on both the stringtrimmer and the grass or he/she is going to try and trim with the mower leaving tire tracks around all those obstacles.

My advise is - and it works for me - let your stringtrim operator know the limitations to the manuverability of the mower he is working with and have him stringtrim only where the mower cannot reach and then let the mower do the rest of the work for you.
    Your trimming job is going to determine how good your overall mowing job is going to look like.

Once you're done then blow and clean off the drives and walks.