1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing over pine cones hurt anything?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Mar 28, 2003.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I have several props. with multiple pines trees. I just got through spending the better part of an hour picking these pickly things up off one customer's yard. Finally I said the heck w/ it and just started to mow 'em over. Both my TTHP and Honda trim mower went through them like nothing but I was thinking the whole time, "Am I tearing up anything" when I would hit one and hear a "ca-thump."

Does anyone have any opinion on this?

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not good cause one could shoot out and hurt somebody or damage something. The noise could be negative advertising. Won't hurt the mower too much, may dull the blades some.
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Gonna hurt the pine cone....
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I worry more about golf balls than pine cones. Talk about a noise and sight of something that will scare the s*** out of ya!!!
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Lacrosse balls are the worst. Man, they shoot out with incredible velocity! I'm pissed off when I find one on one of my properties. They are very dangerous. My practice is to inform the customers of how hazardous they are. Then if I blast out a window with one later, I won't feel like it's my fault.

I'm also concerned with the ricochet effect and getting hit in the face with one. That would be bad.
  6. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

I know of nothing wrong with mowing over pine cones, yes they may dull up the blades a little faster and can occationally ricochet, but have never heard of them breaking glass, the likelihood of them being at the right distance from the window, and hitting at the most focused point so that impact was focused on a specific area, and the fact that with every foot the pine cone flies it will gradually lose speed. I do not think there is much concern, there are many other things that are much harder and destructive to hit.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I mow everything up during cleanups with my walker. I have what I call "cleanup blades" that I use. Just older blades that are not good for grass cutting anymore. This way I don't kill good blades. Over time it will wear out the bottom of your deck faster. :cool:

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Get ear plugs and an OCDC. No problem.:p
  9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did a clean up last weekend. customer has 2 large white pines. cones everywhere mulched them with my new exmark did not pick up one cone :)
  10. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

dry open cones are no big deal. but those little green ones, well, you had better put the chute down cause they can rival anything that comes out of a mower deck!!