mowing over pine cones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by windshadow, Nov 16, 2005.

1. windshadow

windshadow LawnSite Member

I have a walker 48 inch ghs 20 hp. Is it OK to mowe over pine cones or do you pick them up first? any info thanks bill

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just mow over pine cones.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Let the mower eat them.

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it just depends on how neat you want the yard to look when you get through. I don't think they hurt the blades any, other than maybe causing you to sharpen a day sooner. If they aren't too thick, I pick them up first, otherwise I mow them toward the tree, (if discharging), and if mulching I always mow them over. If discharging, you can pick up the pieces that you have thrown toward the tree after you get through.

5. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We've found that our Z's will fling pinecones or aicorn's across a yard, parking lot, etc. Could break a window or take out a vehicle/person.

And we use the Ultravac bagging unit 95% of the time.

We usually rake them up

6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

bagging is bad juju. your pulling alot of nutirents off of the yard doing it that way.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to disagree, what burns me is it takes twice as long yet nobody is willing to pay twice as much.
    The other thing is, they don't call my machine a 'Grand Toro Recycler' for no reason, and yes, I think recycling beats bagging any day as well.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Did 2 yards Monday and had to pick up 3 32 gallon trash cans full of the dam things. If there are just a few I mulch them up but if you cant see the ground for them I pick them up. I lost a yard couple weeks ago because I charged an extra 5 lousy bucks picking up cones.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

yet another job for snappers

10. windshadow

windshadow LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys they are getting thick on the house I am taking about so I think I will pick them up first.