Mowing over sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slimart01, Mar 16, 2007.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Has anyone had problems with either running over sprinkler heads with the tires of your mowers or sucking the heads out of the ground and destroying them?

Should I mark the heads with flags and mow around them or what?

Obviously I dont have any properties with irrigation systems, but I feel sure I will come across some this summer.
  2. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you new to the biz? If the system is installed properly you will not hit any.
    The only time I have problems is when a head is too close to the sidewalk and then you can take em out with the edger, but that is rare.
  3. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

i hit one with an edger last week.....1st one in years. its an easy fix. Mowman is right about not hitting any heads, as long as they were installed right.

ga turf
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

A properly installed & maintained irrigation system shouldnt give u any problems, however weve broke a few simply because they get stuck in the open position. Some people carry with them a couple heads and some pcv glue for just such reason.
  5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I went four seasons without hitting one! Hired a new guy this spring, had him with me, as I was mowing a field he yelled something to me , I looked up and destroyed every last piece of the head and riser with my walker! Total cost to replace the head was around $30.00. I guess if your gonna hit one make it the most expensive one!