1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing passes...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Aug 18, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you make your first mowing pass as close to the middle of the lawn as possible?
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I angle mow, a different direction every time, and I determing the angle by the way the wind is blowing to keep the discharge going away from air cleaners and operator, - I mow a lot of ditches, and sometimes you are spraying the discharge up in the air and it is blowing down your neck, but the rest of the yard does not have to be that way.

So - I do make my first pass somewhere in the yard, but it does not matter if it is the middle or not.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I usually start with the shorter passes at the edges and work toward the longer ones in the middle of the lawn. I find I cut straighter that way.

I do have a couple of lawns where if I'm cutting perpendicular to the front of the house, I just line up and head toward the front door on my first pass.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

no. I start at one side and work across.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

why would you do that?

my first is around the perimeter of the lawn/property.

if I angle cut, after making the perimeter pass,I will make a cut on about a third of the lawn and work toward the 2/3 side.

if I do a parallel cut, I always start at the longest edge.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am with Geo on this one. I start on the perimeter and go from there.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, I always do the perimeter first. As far as where to go after that, depends on how I am cutting, and on the actual lawn layout. Angle I would usually start in the middle and go corner to corner. Parallel, I would follow a property line or straight fixed structure. Either way, I always do the perimeter first. :cool:
  8. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

How many people go around the house/business a couple times before they start mowing the yard or mow the yard, then go around it? Just wondering what looks better.
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Same as my Island brother Paponte.........;)
  10. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I go around the house/business twice before I start mowing strips. I find it makes me faster. I can't say which one looks better.