Mowing pattern

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenthumbGA, Jul 20, 2005.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I am just curios how some of ya'll work your lawn patterns.

I have been trying to get the most out of my time but I want the lawn to look good also.

Z turning tends to tear up grass so it is almost useless on the lawn with some yards

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My mowing patterns change every week. 90* to the original, 45* to the second pattern, then 90* to that. Btw, the Z doesn't tear up the grass, the operator does.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Always vary the pattern. Sometimes 45 degrees sometimes 90 but its never the same twice. If your Z turns tear up the grass your doing a much to agressive turn or the grass is wet. You cant just yank the levers different directions and flip a perfect U turn with out tearing up the turn. Go slow til you get more practice. Learn how to do K turns or back up slightly at the end of your row before initiating the turn.

5. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

I always go around the Perimeter of the area to be cut about 2-3 times; While doing that I figure out what direction I can get the longest lines and cut rows like that...

I try not to always cut the exact same pattern though... I try it from two different angles, so its sort of a cross cut...

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

The big thing is to just change your pattern every week,what ever hits you at the time should be good. Look at the neighbors and do the same,.......I mean the pattern and not the crooked lines:)

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are certainly fancy patterns that turn out the quality but there are also efficiency patterns which save time and labor while still turning out a nice cut turf.
    The pattern I use MOST frequently is to start on the outside in a clockwise loop (which points the discharge towards the INSIDE of the yard) and make two full circles, three if the yard is big enough. At the end of the 2nd or 3rd loop, I turn the Wb around and continue inwards but now the discharge is pointed OUT and doing this spreads the clippings evenly while it keeps the sidewalks / walkways / driveways / roads clear of debris at all times, there is no such thing as a big clump of grass to blow off later.
    Once completed, I usually ride over 2/3'rds or so of the yard again, to catch the few blades the first time didn't AND to cut through the clippings one more time. In the end there is no striping but then most my customers could give a crap about those stupid things because it DOES take a LOT longer and at my prices, I can't afford it unless I'm in the mood.
    That and I feel that constant circles are far more efficient than U-turns - It takes less time to do loops because the Wb is ALWAYS cutting even through the turns AND there is no time wasted turning around AND the inner wheel tears up less yard in the process as well - One smooth rhythm, consistent, constant cutting... It wins the race most every time.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

As mentioned the tear up is from the operator. I rotated cut direction each time at 90 or 45. We have clay soil here so compaction is really an issue.

9. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I usually use the loop. Unless I am on a properly that is surrounded by lawns that look like someone took some time to cut them and made the patterns(Usually a home owner).
    IN the end I have to give it up most of the time because of some missed Bahia. In the end I am just trying to get it all low with out tearing much of up.
    I bought the ztr with new tires and man it shred some stuff up. after a while I have noticed less damage I think mainly because of more exp. and a little wear on the tires.

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple yards that is hard to change directions because of trees etc.I have noticed some signs of rutting from the mower going over almost the same path.How do you deal with lawns like that? I tried changing up the direction but it just looked like crap.