1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Patterns Type and Frequency?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagmanjosh, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I prefer striping the lawn. I DO use the same example as you mentioned by moving over a tires width or so to keep the soil compacted as even as possible.

2. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

if your useing a ztr racetrack is the LAST thing i would do. when u go to make your 90 degree turn it makes a turn spot because most likely one wheel is moving 1 is staying still. its alot harder then doing long straight lines with minimal turning

3. turfrider1020

turfrider1020 LawnSite Senior Member

i just cut the stripes i want to see on that yard that week, ive only had 2 complaints about my stripes in 16 years, two old hags that wanted left to right and up and down only they didnt like diagonals(dags) anyway you cut the yards in what ever direction you want if it is too wet leave that patch for the following week or trim it out , thats my way and it works out great for me

i also always start at the left of a house or obsticale so i dont spray the grass all over , starting in the center works too if you do it where you dont spay the house, ive done it that way a few times here and there it comes in especialy handy when you have an obsticale at both ends and you can prevent spraying both

4. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

n
    Same system I use. Going back and forth or diagnally drives me crazy and my yards have all types of trees, shrubs, etc to go around. People around here don't seem to care about stripes.

5. scagmanjosh

scagmanjosh LawnSite Member

This is easily remedied by curving your direction changes instead of making hard 90s.

6. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of people around here don't allow ztrs on their lawn.