Mowing Patterns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Apr 30, 2005.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I see many people talking about striping. I was wondering if most of you use the up and down pattern as opposed to the circular pattern. I seem to want to go in the circular pattern an most of my yards.
    Is there a benefit other than the striping. By the way I have not had any customers asking for stripes.
    Is this something that is more popular in the northern areas?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It looks pretty... but takes a lot more time and effort...

3. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Going in one direction all the time will lead to creating ruts or mowing trails left by your wheels. It also is beneficial to change the direction so the grass is cut at a different angle and doesn't try to lay down when you move it. Cut the same each week and it looks like the grass is growing in one direction, like a hard breeze blowing over it all the time. I use different patterns each week and my customers love it. Does tend to take a few minutes more but worth the effort
    Tim

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Picked up 2 yards that were mowed the same all the time with ztr.
    The customer aked why I was cutting his yard the way I was so I showed him the ruts left from a season of mowing.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

When you mow in a circular pattern all of the grass is blown to the center. It can look ugly.

I stripe back and forth. I just change patterns.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever you turn, on any mower, the deck isn't as efficient. Decks are made to take grass from the front. When turning, I get a diminished cut quality.

Straight lines are the quickest way from point A to point B.....repeat.

Circle jobs are for homeowners.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have cut circles, in a "stripe" pattern, meaning alternating directions, but I've not done Indy laps.

The problem of cutting circle "stripes" is that you've got to start in the middle, and have a very large, no trees, type area.

As for doing "indy laps", no.

8. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I agree alternating stripes every week gives a better result in the end. But if you do circles, do the outside with the grass blowing inward.
    After finishing the perimeter, you do your circles the other way around, so you dont have the grass piling up to the middle.

9. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

TLS is right-leave circles for homeowners who don't know any better. Cut in your outer edge with one big circumference of the property and begin your lanes in direction of your choice. Change pattern at least every month. We change a lot 'cause I like the effect of diamonds and alternating stripes. Finally, on your way out make one more circumference of property to cut any floaters you missed turning...also eliminates turn tracks (the normal ones, not damage marks) keeping your pattern distortion free.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally I do two times around the property. This covers how far the grass flies out from under the deck, so you're less likely to have any grass to blow.

You'll have to look at your own mower though, and see how far the discharge is thrown.