Mowing patterns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DTM65, Apr 25, 2000.

1. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

After reading the post by GALawnman, I though I would throw this out for discussion.<p>This question is referring to to mowing with ZTR mowers and the patterns of cut used to get the best look.<p>When I started mowing with a zero turn, I would first cut a couple of passes around the perimeter of the yard and then go in and cut striping passes...turning around in the perimeter area I had just cut.<p>I have recently started to make all my striping cuts first and then cut my perimeter as the last thing. This helps clean up any clipping that may drop during turns. (Of course, I use a different direction each time I mow.)<p>Is there a better way?<p>What methods do you use and why?<p><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

D. Tom,<br>I was just thinking the same procedure would be better also...by circling the perimeter afterwards you will also erase the turn around prints. The groundskeepers at baseball parks have the luxury of a warning track to turn around on.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Thats how I do it, make the perimiter cut last so you erase any turning marks. <p>Homer

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I do my perimeter runs first, that way the stripes look like they go to the end of the lawn, & hide your perimeter passes. Makes you look like you cut the whole yard by striping only.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

5. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

it takes longer but sometimes i like to do those diagonal stripes there a sure fire way to get noticed thats the first thing the owner will see when they turn in the driveway and passerbyers will also take notice<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

6. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Using a mulching mower or bagging(like they did in the old days), you can go either way. Using a discharge mower, You need to do you perimeter cut first. If not when you make your 180 to the left next to a ornamental bed, the bed will be full of grass clipings.

7. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

PLS:<p>I do it the way you explained and it still throws the clippings laying on top into the mulch beds. Which is a pain to clean out.

8. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Make 2 perimeter cuts, then as you end your straight striping cut (on top of you second perimeter cut), hesitate for a half second or so before making your turn, giving the deck time to discharge most of the clppings. Its just a slight pause, you can watch the clippings comming out of the chute and then it emptys itself. Then continue your turn. <p>If your using a hydro, you can do a reverse 180 turn. So that your discharge chute is to the inside, It take a second longer but it's better than cleaning the beds out. If your not using a hydro, You should try one.<br>

9. RH

RH LawnSite Member

Speaking of striping, Toro sells striping kits for all of their SFS decks. They leave an AWESOME stripe, better than Wrigley field.

10. RH

RH LawnSite Member

Speaking of striping, Toro sells striping kits for all of their SFS decks. They leave an AWESOME stripe, better than Wrigley field.