mowing per hr prices/rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Mar 16, 2002.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you guys charging per hour to mow? People talk about $1 per min-$60 hr/per man. On large accounts, due you give them a deal or do you charge more per hr? I would like to know because there are a lot of people lowballing to get accounts- while I don't want to lose any if I could make more and help raise prices for everyone we can all win.

My equip.
    2000 ford f-350
    86 chevy 1 ton dump
    85 gmc 3/4 ton pickup
    ferris dd hydro 52
    ferris sd hydro 48
    scag hydro 48
    lawn tractor 42
    a couple of 21 mowers
    enclosed 7x14
    open 6.5x12

2. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

what does it cost you to mow?
    answer that first and i'll help you

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

here I charge $45/hr mowing-- Trimming and pruning $50/hr adn landscape services $60 /hr. this is average here. Find out what people charge around your area and figure it around that. If you do really good work charge more ( word will get around about quality) If you just want to get in and get out charge a little less.------DON'T LOWBALL

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$65 per hour to mow...just mow.

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I shoot for $60.00 hour mowing with a z. This includes trimming and edging. Harvestman

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we dont price per hour we price per square foot.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Harvestman..

I think I saw an earlier post from you today on a small job that someone was asking the members to estimate...your estimate I think was around $30 and I think it was a 30 or 40 minute job.A few others had estimates similar to yours. I thought the job was worth about $45.... but we all live in different price areas.

What I'm trying to get at is do you have a bare minimum just to show up? If you dont, then setting a goal of $60 an hour for mowing seems difficult to actually attain if you're loading and unloading for $30 jobs and then driving to the next one for $30..In no way am I being critical rather I'm just trying to understand how the $60 per hour is acheived.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing prices will vary from state to state!!! We are the closest to you jsaunders, we are in Maine. We get $35.00 per hr for each mower, $29.00 hr for pruning and general labor at $21.00hr, Our plowing price is at $100.00 hr. That is all the market will allow in my area! Some others can get $45 to $60.00 an hour for mowing in other states but after 9-11 we have to be careful on our costs cause alot of people are still nervous about spending $$$$$$$
    I use to road race AMA & CCS motorcycles 600 & 750 super-sport and superbike at NHIS (New Hampshire International Speedway) Are you anywhere nere there?????

www.ideallandscaping.com

9. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

when you mow what size mower are you useing????

10. I think the $60/hr is figured off of the hour meter of the ZTR. I have vastly different sizes of mowers, so I calculate different goals per hour of operation for each mower. Manual labor I calculate separately (usually by trying to avoid it:D ).

My best chance for improvement is to improve efficency when the hour meter stops. That's where lawnsite helps me a lot. With improving customer routing, or should I use a palm pilot? Is my trailer quick and easy to load? Things like that.

The cost of operating a machine was pretty well set when the mower was manufactured and sold for a set price. Of course some mowers are better than others.

Of course I don't bill by the hour, just use these price goals to quote jobs.

Dave