1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, i have a client who is against the use of any spray or chem. organincide, however, he has a moderate sized patch of poison ivy in the woods that he wants mowed down. now there is no way i will use the new mowers on this, as there is debris in the area. i have an old murray lawn tratcor that i could use, or i could just weed whack it. my concern is if i use the mowers, then the poison ivy will be spread everywhere/. what would you do?
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I would not weed wack it....it will get everywhere on you.....

I love these "tree huggers" maybe 2 whole ounces of roundup would be realesed into the environment. But they have no problem sending you to wolves so you end up wiping your butt for two weeks with rubber gloves on...I'll bet they drive an SUV and eat at mcdonalds... Ok now for the helpful part

I would not mow in a debris riddled area with any equipment. Not worth the risk IMO

Vinegar-Acetic acid.....Scythe-Fatty acids...How about Salt water?

You could aways take a black tarp and stretch it over the area and stake it down. Deprive it of light long enough it should die...
  3. mike lane lawn care

thanks for the advice, and he drives a little volvo, abd eats foods that only are organic.
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

give him to a mowjoe and let them deal with it .
  5. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

DO NOT CUT IT!:dizzy: The oils from the plant will get everywhere and if you are allergic (most are) you will be miserable. Round up is the best way to go, or you can use a black tarp and place it over the area for a week or so in the sun, then uncover and much of the plants will be dead (make sure you wash the tarp with a soap and water afterwards, you can get poison ivy weeks or even months later by touching anything it came in contact with ).
  6. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I've used a power scythe attachment on my Stihl weedeater before to cut in and around poison ivy. It cuts well without throwing debris around like a string would. You can't go nearly as fast as with a string, though.
    Whatever method you ultimately chose, charge him big time for this!!! Urushiol is way more dangerous than glyphosate. Consider refusing the request.
  7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Tell him to go out on a moonless night and pee on the patch. Tell him that ORGANIC Nitrogen in large doses will cause it to die.

Let him know it has to be done on a dark night, then possibly he will lose his balance, grab it by mistake, then finish the job at hand.

You can fill in the rest of the picture.

He would be happy to let you use Roundup on it after a good case of ivy.

No dice. That stuff is brutal. Try rock salt, it will kill it and any grass around it as well. Try to keep it just around the root area. Rocksalt will kill stumps as well. Cheaper than chemicals. Tyvek suit and rubber gloves to remove it. $$$

Other than that, no way.
  8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You can catch poison ivy a year later, from unwashed clothes, tarps and other things. Myself, i never get it. a little bit between the fingers. My cousin that helped me last year had to go to the hospital 3 times because of it.
    Of couse i don't go hugging it or rolling in it either.
  9. mike lane lawn care

thanks, he is a good cutomer, but i don't want to be scratching my skin off for a week. I will tell him the best i can do is get a few disposible tarps and cover it up, he said the most he's pay for this is an extra $30. nice guy, always pays, but he owns his own biz, drives new cars(volvos aren't cheap) and his house is valued at over 1 million, but he is sooo cheap.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

As politely as you can, tell him to go get bent.

Poison ivy removal gets charged the top of my rate scale. $250 per man hour. Plus disposable protective gear and equipment cleaning fee.

It just isn't worth doing and for $30. Please.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: