Mowing prices have to go up, No?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Mar 4, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

As others have commented, Fuel prices are soaring here in Baltimore almost over night. Fueled the company rollback today and $100 didn't fill the right tank. I plan to raise the rates for most of my existing accounts and raise my general pricing at least 25% for all new business. I can't see any other way. I don't think all the people who are getting rich from the oil market will be happy til we're paying $3.00 a gallon. Has anyone else decided on a course of action? With prices for everything out of sight, I don't think 25% is out of line. Who knows how high fuel will be by August?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think you can go from $80 to $100 and blame it all on gas.

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

They don't have off-road gas do they? I know they do it here for diesel. Not paying road tax on gas would save some big $$$ at the pump.

4. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

The papers here in the NW said yesterday for us to see a .24 increase in the very near future. I expected gas to go up today and it didn't but I filled all our machines and jugs just incase it goes up tomorrow. I don't understand the diesel prices. They have been .50 more than gas here. Funny thing though, I don't seem to hear the truckers complaining loudly. What gives there?....

5. Eddie B

from gone

6. Eddie B

from gone

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

25% due to an increase in fuel costs?

Good luck.
    I don't think it is possible to claim fuel has added 25% to operating costs,2% maybe,25%, hmm................

8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

My 25% statement was in accurate. I have a large group of town homes I mow all at one time. I got them 4 or 5 years ago at $15 each per week. (I know that is low but they are all together and turn a nice profit for the time spent.) I have not raised them ever but this year they're getting bumped to $20. Hence the 25%.

In the past I have priced my work a little low because I wasn't depending solely on mowing for a living. This year that will change so I must be diligent about charging enough to make a living. The point being the higher pump prices were just a reminder to me not to work cheap. No one can afford to now.

9. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Like it's been said by dv and lawnman, 25% would be too much at this point but I think we all will have to come up with a sliding surcharge in the very near future as I think gas prices will make a new "peak" this year. And if it's going up this much this early in the year, we may see see some real problems ahead this season. I like to hope not, but it's not looking good....

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Gas is a fairly small part of my overhead, around 10%. So if gas goes up 25%, it only raises my cost my 2.5%. No big deal really.

The only way I would raise a customer 25% is if I didn't want them anymore, or if I accidently underbid it the previous year. I raised about 1/2 of my customers about 6% last year and will do the same with the other 1.2 this year.

So my $10 lawns will now be $10.50 and my $15 ones will be $16. :D