Mowing Prices - Same price for 12k sq ft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont understand how companies like justmowing and promowing.com can do all lots up to 12k sq ft (before improvements) for $28. Where are they making their money? Or am I just thinking about it from the wrong perspective?

Is it because they run 3 man crews?

2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe that's how they make their money, $28 sounds kinda high.
    Then so long it looks like they're doing all right, maybe they are.

4. Sal200

Sal200 LawnSite Member

28 dollars sounds kinda low to me. I charge 50 a week for quarter acre to 12000 sq ft lots. But I also bag the clippings and weed out the beds with that price. In my area we have a very high cost of living and there is no way i could do it for less. Of course there are people in my area who charge 25 a week for a quarter acre but those are the ones who stop showing up. I got a new customer about a month ago and told her 40 a week, it was a quarter acre but she takes care of the beds, so i just go in and cut and thats it. She said that her previous guy hadnt come in 3 weeks and she called him and left messages and he never called her back, she told me he charged her 25 a week but she still went with me for 40.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How is your cost...
    Long Island?
    Yeah all right I think NY city is a bit expensive.

But I'd do that for $30 and not a week, but per cut.
    No bagging but I take care of weeds like you described as well.
    So $30 at my price or $28 at theirs, really not that much different.

Honestly speaking thou I still think $28 sounds kinda high,
    that is when I hear $28 or $30 it's all about the same, $28 is a bs price in my book.
    27 would work much better, but once I hit 28 I just quote 30 because...

It's about the sound of the price, here are some more examples of prices that sound better and worse:

Better:
    1,2,3,4,6,7,10,11,12,14,16,17,20,21,22,23,24,26,27,30 and so on...
    Worse:
    5,8,9,13,18,19...,28,29 and so on...
    Iffy: 15, 25 ...

And I stay away from 13's not because I'm superstitious but because some customer might be :p

Now 19 might fly over 20, but I doubt 29 flies over 30.
    I'm not saying 29 doesn't get as many responses as 30 but I don't think it gets more... It's about that 9...

Then certain numbers just have a 'royal' sound to them, specifically I find 5, 8 and 9 do it.
    Now 29 might sell faster than 30, I think 290 might outsell 300 but not by much, if it does, it's that dang 9.

$70 is a good price and 75 is not too bad and 80 might work but 85 is total BS as is 95 (90 might work but once I hit 95 I might as well just say it, break down and blurt it out: $100). I also think 260 sells as fast as 250, thou 240 is faster than both (and granted here it's because it is cheaper).

Ending 5's are so-so, ending 9's are horrible so whatever you do don't do 199.95 you're definitely best off there just quote 200. Yes I know every big corporation does it, maybe that's why but sure enough I've quoted a few .999 type of prices and boy did I get a LOOK.

Trailing zeroes have a smoothing out effect.
    100 is good as is 110, 120 is good but 100 and 110 will sell faster, 140 will sell faster than 150 and some of it is because it's cheaper but I dare say 160 will sell as fast as 150.

Oddly enough 190 does sell better than 200...
    But 195 does not, don't ask me and I can't fully explain it and it doesn't always work like that.
    Still there is something to it.

Why I do that, it's a way sometimes I can squeeze out an extra $5 or $10,
    other times a mere $5 or $10 difference in the customer's favor makes
    all the difference I needed to get them to agree,
    especially towards the higher end prices...

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Fixed overhead.

Small lots
    Small trucks
    Small mowers

Workers paid by the job not by the hour.

So they can take each lawn and guarentee a profit from it.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't think you could pay that way, isn''t there a hourly wage LAW? maybe I am wrong tthough.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

DAMNNNN. a lot of words...little sense

9. MowHouston

Yeah, you can do it by the job because all you have to do is adhere to minimum wage laws. Those guys are easily doing $10/hr and they are h2b visa workers trying to work as hard as they can to have money to take back home at the end of the mowing season.

Justmowit's business plan is a well oiled discount mowing machine. Please read that thread. I swear its got a ton of info in it. I'm glad it was posted.

10. MowHouston