Mowing question from NH

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by D.A.M. Lawn Care, Aug 13, 2004.

1. D.A.M. Lawn Care

D.A.M. Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NH

Does anyone know if you need a license just to mow lawns in New Hampshire? (No landscaping, just mowing). I couldn't find any straight-forward answers on the Net so any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Samwise

Samwise LawnSite Member

No, you do not need a license to mow lawns in NH.

You do need a license to apply any sort of pesticides or herbicides on the lawns. That means you cannot do any weed and feeds, round-up etc.

Although a license is not required to conduct a lawn mowing business in the state, there are definitely a few things you should do before you start mowing.

First and foremost, get some insurance. General liability insurance, at the least, is a must. As careful as you may try to be, accidents can happen. Nobody plans on it, but it's a fact of life. I know it may seem like a pain to be paying out money for insurance before you even start, to do otherwise is gambling with your future financial well being.

Second, do some research of the market. Remember when pricing that it is more than just what you'd like to make per hour of work. You have to take into account all your operating costs. This has to include the cost of insurance, fuel, equipment maintenance, office supplies, the cost to eventually replace and or upgrade your equipment, and all the time you will have to invest to run the business while not actually out in the field mowing (accounting, picking up supplies, etc.)

I'm sure I am leaving a lot of things out, but this should give you some things to ponder for a bit. Also, you will find much useful information if you read other threads on this site. I've been in the business for close to 20 years now, and still find that I can always learn something new.

Take care and best of luck to you.

3. D.A.M. Lawn Care

D.A.M. Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NH

Thank you for all the info. I just found the number for the NH department of state. It seems that you need to register with the state if you're conducting business under a name other than your legal name. IE John Smith conducting business as "John Smith" doesn't have to register, but if doing business as "John Smith Enterprises" you would have to register cuz "Enterprises" isn't part of your name. It was $50 to register, but it's worth it to avoid a fine later on. I am planning on getting some insurance before I get going, any suggestions on companies? policies? Thanks again for the info, Samwise.