Mowing Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sheerhunk, Apr 20, 2006.

1. sheerhunk

sheerhunk LawnSite Member

I built a house out in the country about 2 years ago on 5 acres.I had a little dirt brought in last spring to help smooth out some rough spots. It was not nearly enough but all i could afford.
    Well i went and bought me a Gravely 52 inch Ztr mower and the thing is real rough and bounces me around quite a bit. So i bought one of their spring seats and the dern thing still bounces like crazy and pretty rough on this 52 year old body.
    Well i mowed yesterday for the first time this year and when i got through I told my wife I was going to get rid of it and get a regular riding riding mower .
    Does anybody have any sugestions on this. I know I am going to take a hit on a trade .Whats a 1 year old gravely 52 inch 23 hp Ztr mower with spring seat worth i think it has a kalasaki engine.
    What goods a mower that goes 10 mph if you can't phsyically mow that fast.

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

sllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww dddddddddddddddddddooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!
    the benefit of a ztr is it's ability to trim around objects. ground speed is a very over-sold benefit. the real benefit in productivity is that the time required for trimming and turning is reduced. if it was simply a matter of ground speed the manufacturers could produce lawn tractors with speeds to match a z..........i'm not sure why a lawn tractor would ride any smoother than a z....longer wheelbase?????? my only experience with a lt was the cc 127 my dad had 30 years ago (which incidentally, a local boat dealer still uses in the yard). my thinking is that you will lose maneuvability and still have to slow down bc of bumps.