Mowing question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by s.o.s mowing, Aug 12, 2011.

1. s.o.s mowing

s.o.s mowing LawnSite Member

Hi everyone as i was mowing a clients lawn today i noticed that across the street my other client lawn was getting fertilized with a granular fertilizer and weeds were getting sprayed. Now my question is can i go over and mow that lawn even though it has just had fertilizer put down. It is a very thin grass that didn't even need to be cut. But thats my question. Thanks!

2. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

yeah just don't bag ... its not like you'd be disturbing seed or anything its just fertilizer and weed killer it'll be fine ... just think about it ... if you didn't see them fertilizing you'd mow and go and wouldn't notice a thing ...

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

pro lawn is correct IMO.

i'm not a pro on fertilizing and weed sprays, i'm not even licensed in my state and i don't do that as a service.

but if i've ever shown up on a property where i know they came that day. around my neck of the woods the flags they put in the yard have the date of service on them i just avoid bagging the lawn.

i don't see why it would hurt anything. and i've certainly never had a problem doing this.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

You both answered incorrectly based on one of his last statements - "it is a very thin grass that didnt even need to be cut.

5. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Well, the fert. won't be an issue (being mowed over).

Now, as far as what was being sprayed.......that would determine whether or not it's a good idea to mow or not (immediately). A lot of postM labels call for NOT mowing for (____) days, after application.

I'd want to know what they sprayed, if I were you. The homeowner paid a fee to have his weeds sprayed. It would be a shame if you mowing affected the chemical's efficacy adversely.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

All right guys, it's called an MSDS sheet. Every fert or pest product I have read has some sort of inhalation risk and subsequent health effect. Do you really think the signs they have to put out by law are for proof of service or maybe something more vital?:usflag:

7. vencops

from NC

Very few states require chemical applicators to post signs.

8. Patriot Services

That's interesting, since it's a federal law.:usflag:

9. vencops

from NC

Post it up. I'm sure it'll be easy to find a link.

This may help...

Federal Regulation of Herbicides

The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) established the basic system of pesticide regulation in the United States and is administered by the EPA. FIFRA governs the registration, distribution, sale, and use of pesticides nationwide and has several functions including:

•requires all pesticides sold or distributed in the United States to be registered with the EPA
    •creates a classification system for pesticides based on toxicity
    •allows states to regulate pesticide use
    •requires certification for pesticide applicators

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. Patriot Services

EPA defines "Reestricted Entry Intervals " as the time immediately following application of a pesticide when unprotected workers may not enter the treated area. The regulations state that:
    •no unprotected person may be in the treated area during pesticide application.

•no pesticide application is to be permitted that will expose any person to pesticides, either directly or through drift, excepting those involved in the application.

•if labeling for worker reentry is more restrictive than the general standards specify, the label restrictions must be followed instead of the general regulations.

•when no reentry time is specified, treated areas can be reentered without protective clothing after the spray has dried or the dust has settled, unless the pesticide is exempt from reentry requirements.

•warnings of pesticide applications appropriate and timely to the situation are to be given to workers either through oral communication, by posting, or both. Warnings should be given in the language that can be understood by the workers involved

Speaks pretty clear to me.