Mowing Rates

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by poster, Apr 22, 2005.

1. poster

poster LawnSite Member

I have just begun to offer lawn cutting as a service but I am not sure how to charge for this service. What are the rates primarily in the central Virginia area?

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

You might do better to have a few friends call the local operators and get quotes on their properties. That way you can see exactly what a $50 job looks like or whatever.

3. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

here's a rate that works real well............

&#65279;< 1/4 acres ~~~~~~~~~ $25
    1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $35
    1 acre ~~~~~~~~ $45
    1 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 55
    2 acre ~~~~~~~ $ 65
    2 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 75
    3 acre ~~~~~~~~~~ $ 85
    3 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~ $105
    4 acre~~~~~~~~~~ $125

i'm using Gravely pm 260z 60" cut period......

mulch triple & double ground, red, brown, black cost $ 22/ yd
    express blower $ 19/ yd installed
    i always use express blower......... ~~~ Sell $65 / yd ~~~ $95 /yd

dethatching ~~~~~~~~ $ 20 / k ~~ $ 25/ k

core aeration ~ 5k == $85, 10k == $ 150, then, $12/k after

bed edging ~~~ $1.00 / sqft, new edging $ 1.35 == $ 1.65 / sqft

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

those prices past 1/2 acre are LOW!! i could not compete with that...... :dizzy:

5. A+ Lawncare

RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY (Including mow, trim, and blow)

1/8 acre: $20
    1/4 acre: $25
    3/8 acre: $30
    1/2 acre: $35
    5/8 acre: $40
    3/4 acre: $45
    7/8 acre: $50
    1 acre: $55
    Over 1 acre: $55 per acre + $20 for each additional acre.
    Example: 3 acre lawn would cost $95.

These are only estimated rates. Your quote may be higher or lower depending on the amount of obstacles and time involved.

COMMERCIAL PROPERTY (Including mow, trim, and blow)

1/8 acre: $30
    1/4 acre: $35
    3/8 acre: $40
    1/2 acre: $45
    5/8 acre: $50
    3/4 acre: $55
    7/8 acre: $60
    1 acre: $65
    Over 1 acre: $65 per acre + $20 for each additional acre
    Example:3 acre lawn would cost $105.

These are only estimated rates. Your quote may be higher or lower depending on the amount of obstacles and time involved.

Size Chart-

1/8 acre= 5,445 square feet
    ¼ acre= 10,890 square feet
    3/8 acre= 16,335 square feet
    ½ acre= 21,780 square feet
    5/8 acre= 27,225 square feet
    ¾ acre= 32,670 square feet
    7/8 acre= 38,115 square feet
    1 acre= 43,560 square feet
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good luck my friend :)

6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

A + Lawn Care

sweetie pie,
    unless you have 60" cut, 27 hp mower... your right, your also screwed.......

with these prices, wave of the future.......... look at brickman's

95% of my lawns, i don't even trim them, or blow sidewalks, driveways
    its all done by my mower......................

note! depreciation section 179 write it ALL off...........

7. A+ Lawncare

i use (pop's & mine, but i own half of it) a 61'' bobcat ztr 31hp at times so i know a few things about those ztr.... whats your point?

what or who is brickman's and what does it have to do with anything?

if you don't weedeat, then thats less time, time=money so maybe your on top of things..... saying most jobs include an average of 10mins trim jobs.... but you gotta average in your blowing, i couldn't leave a job w/o blowing it.... if the job is not an A+ then i don't want to sign my name to it.....

write what off?

8. hockeygoalie

hockeygoalie LawnSite Member

I kind of agree the rates seem low. I dont try to be the lowest around. I try to sell the whole service. I tell the customer, I want your lawn to be the best in the neiborhood. I get my additional customers when they see how good my lawns look. A higher end customer wants trimming, fertilizer, lime, aeration, overseed, and doesnt mind paying for it. I think you should decide if you are going for quality vs. quantity. I make a good living on full service. I felt that I will always have someone trying to under bid me, no matter what I charge. So, I felt I can keep customers by offering a "hand holding" full service care. My customers call me for everything from car repair to fence repair. I refer them to my friends in various fields and they return the favor to me. These customers pay $50-100 per acre.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Kid you REALLY don't have a clue about the Lawn Business do you? BRICKMAN is one of if not THE LARGEST LCO Company in the entire USA.

I am not being mean here to you, but you really also need to learn how to USE this Site. Instead of posting 12 questions a day and over a 100 post in your short couple of weeks on here all of which also have been answered many times before use the Search Feature instead. The first month I was on here I did nothing be SEARCH.....try it the next time you have a question and you will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge you can gain.

10. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I did not join until I wanted to post something. Maybe A+ did the same thing.

As for your claim that you kept your mouth shut for the first month. BS! You joined June 14, posted on June 15 and hit 100 posts in under a month.