Mowing Rates $

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, May 19, 2002.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to stay competitive, be profitable and expand my business. Kind of sounds like what everyone has in mind !
    I am seeking information as to what the going rates are all over, here in small town world there are a couple guys that are charging $7-8 for lawns and I can't figure out how they are in business still. Question What Is the going rate in your area ?
    Any Information would be appreciated Thanks

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Dancer - Those prices are just ridiculous. Those were my prices for lawns 25 years ago! Around here, most lots are 1/4 to 1/2 acre with many 1 acre and up. Prices generally are $25 to $35 for 1/4 acre, $40 to $50 for half acre and $55 to $70 for an acre. I bill by the job, not the hour, but right now my lawns pay me from about $33 to $42 per hour working alone with a 48 Exmark hydro WB, not including travel time between jobs. When the grass is growing slower and I can cut faster, I'll be up in the $50/hr range.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What, no one else knows their rates?

4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

[. Prices generally are $25 to $35 for 1/4 acre, $40 to $50 for half acre and $55 to $70 for an acre. I bill by the job, not the hour,

Those prices are very comparable to here. 7,8$ a lawn I hope ther pulling your leg.

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

These are my rates ;
    1/4 and under $30
    1/4 to 1/2acre lot $35 to $45
    1/2 to 3/4 acre lot $45 to $55
    3/4 to 1acre or more $55 to $75 or MORE
    * there are also alot of factors that very my rates such as trimming,gate size to the back yard, travel time and most important CUSTOMER ATTITUDE. Just remember that these prices are the norm in my area and work for me!

6. Hey, how many lawns are they cutting per hour? They could be cutting two, maybe even three an hour. That $7 a lawn could add up fast at three per hour. Or maybe they are financially adept and are invensting that $7 in a money making propersition.
    Why don't you just pass by their house, see how they live, then you will know the real story of how they are staying in business. I know several and I mean several guys that cut grass in my area, when to school with some of them, they only bring in about $500 a week, but guess what. It is all cash and they collect their food stamps and welfare payments. Nothing wrong with that, just the way they choose to live.

7. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

$7-8$ a lawn would Hardly pay for the fuel to get to each of them unless there

all in a row! What are they using? murray riders? I wont even pull up to a lawn for less than 35.00. My hourly for lawns runs about 45.00 Per HR. I bet they have Insurance to. :eek:

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Scottb, I spoke with an LCO last year in Statesville about rates (after convincing him I was not competition). He said he tried to go into Lake Norman with his going rate ($35) and couldn't get any business. Someone told him he was too cheap so he raised it to $45 and got more business than he could handle. Apparently, some in Lake Norman have an idea of where the line of quality is. Superficial as it may be, he's making more money now. Good luck to you, Tony

9. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah thats how it is around here,We have lots of other lcos in the area but little competiton. Also a lot of people around the lake are loyal customers and if you are dependable they will stand by you. ( Suffice to say thought the lake lawns are usually a little higher due to the PITA possibility)

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

FWIW,
    I just lost a job to another Landscaper that is now doing the job at half my price. However, the next day I picked up a lawn that I overbid by $10 (should be be $25 and I said $35), and the customer was happy to have me. Like the rest of us...... Go figure.
    Pete