Mowing Rates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Apr 1, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have been thinking about servicing a VERY specific market, where price is not an issue, only quality. I have to ask this. What would you charge to mow an average acre with a few gardens? Here are the stipulations:

1) Lawn is to be cut with reel mowers
    2) ALL gardens and paved surfaces are edged on a weekly basis
    3) Remove weeds from all of the gardens
    4) Blow off all paved surfaces.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

An acre is alot of grass to cut with a push mower (I assume this is what you'll use?) not a market for this stuff here but if you can do it good luck...

You just thinking of having that as a side show to your regular rotary lawn mowing?

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

:dizzy: :confused: :alien: :dizzy:

Bush Hog Boy.

I was referring to mowing with Lockes and ride on reel mowers that are used for fairways. Small Mclain type machines for areas unaccessable by larger machines. I also wasn't referring to single acre lots. I was using an acre as a base unit for a property. I am looking to target clients who have multiple acres of manicured lawn.

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

how many times per week do you plan on mowing them? Reel mowers, from what I understand, have a hard time cutting more than an inch of grass off without laying it over.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Scott, I plan on mowing as the turf dictates. So if there is a drought, they don't get mowed often. In the spring when it's growing like wildfire, they will be mowed more often.

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Man I havent seen or used one of those mowers in years. I'll tell you this much be prepared to sharpen it often. What a pain in the @$$. Gives a nice cut but you better mow once a day or every other day. They use reel mowers on golf courses all the time and mow frequently. What size cutting width are you using. If I remember correctly I had a 72" or 76". It had 3 bangs or wings. The middle one and two side ones. I found that the maintenance was too much for me. If you hit a stone forget it. On most of the lawns now a days you can't use them. The roller in the back of the blade gives the lawn a nice stripe.
    Travis

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

AGG, it's not something I do at this time, but am giving it some thought for the future. What do you think I could charge for cutting a lawn that way, as opposed to mow n' go?

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd have to charge a heck of a lot more than most people would be willing to pay. Reels to sharpen, weeds to deal with, bleech.

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the machine yet? I have a reel mower for my Gravely, would love to find some rich people to run it for.
    Crawdad