Mowing rough ground

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimbo76a, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jimbo76a

jimbo76a LawnSite Member

Any suggestions as to what kind of maching might work best for mowing an area of about 5 acres whose ground is rough and uneven? I'm not talking huge holes or anything like that. Basically it is a field that has not been tended to in the past. The other land on the property is very level and smooth and I'm not apposed to buying two different machines for the job. I've been told that the front mount Z i'm looking at may not be suitable for the rougher ground. any truth to this? any ideas? thanks

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to demo the Ferris with the independent suspension. If you do a search on this unit, ther might be some good info for you.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm very conscience of being bumped around. I have a smaller rider, and a WB/velky. I've found that if it's too bumpy for a velky, it's also too bumpy for a mid mount Z . You may want look at a three wheeler like a Ferris or scag, and run the tire pressure on the rear wheel low"and" get yourself of cushion to put on the seat. The advantage of a 3wheelr' is you can hold onto the steering wheel so you don't get bounced back and forth.
    Pete

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why not redo the 5 acres so its not to rough? That would be cheaper than buying another piece of equipment. Or trac with brush hog would work to just keep it mowed down.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Switchless has a good point about the 3wheelers. you can run the pressure on the read tire low and its a much smoother ride that getting rattled to pieces on a z or sulky.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have found that a front-mount works better on rough ground than a midmount ZTR. I have mowed some very rough properties with a Grasshopper, 61" front mount. It rides pretty good on the rough ground, and gives a very nice cut, even in really bad conditions.:)

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't care what kind of mower you run to give the operator a smoother ride on rough ground, its still harder on equipment than smooth ground

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the only piece of property you are concerned about, then I'd suggest a nice sized tractor with a finish mower on the back. If it's that rough, a Ford 8N or 9N with a 60" Woods or Landpride finish mower won't even feel the bumps. You can cut at about 10 mph, too.

9. jimbo76a

jimbo76a LawnSite Member

Thankyou to everyone for your input

10. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are a little chubby, make sure you wear a bro ( bra for a man) otherwise you'll be bouncing around alot. :)