Mowing sand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I've been in business for 1 year and am fortunate, I guess, to have not had to mow sandy, patchy -almost grassless areas. Now I'm being asked to by a property mgr. What damage can I expect on my LaserZ (1 yr old w/ 600hrs & in great condition)

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Not real sure about mowers but sand will tear up bearings pins and undercarriage on heavy equipment so I would think it would have to shorten the life of anything running on it...sand just loves grease so be sure to flush those bearings with fresh lube more often! and dont let the excess grease hange from the bearing or pin.....this is a sand magnet!

Sorry I couldn't help more!

Peace!

3. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How big are these areas of sand. Someone told me that the hover mowers where good around sand traps, so I figured it might work but im not sure i dont own one and dont know how big these grassy patches are.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

mowing sandy areas really eats up your blades. the little rocks and grit will work like sand paper on the blades. make sure you sharpen them afterwards.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Think of a commercial sandblaster, it removes paint real well. As was said above, it clings to grease real well and destroys blades bearings and anything else that it gets next to. The worse damage is done when the fine dust particles enter the engine and scour the cylinder walls and build up in the oil. I would have to really consider the property if its gonna ba a dry dusty site.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Being in Central Florida I used to get a lot of Bahia lawns. Bahia grass is very drought tolerant and doesn't grow very dense so most of he time you're trying to mow it you're sucking up sand. My first commercial machine had holes the size of quarters blown in the deck from the sand. After a couple of years I got smart and refused to mow any Bahia and now only mow Floratam (a very dense growing grass). The difference was immeadiate. No longer did I have to change blades as often. No longer did I have to replace air filters as often and it was also easier for me to breath and I wasn't coughing like I had been. Take my advice and let the scrubs do the sandy stuff while you do the lush well irrigated lawns.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with your Ed ....we don't like sand lots ....(and there are a lot of em here)... we have a great customer whom like's the empty sand lot next door cut like once a month ...and I use an old 54" Cub we have as a back up mower ....she has holes in the deck which have been patched & I never sharpen those blades (untill she is used as normal) ...you'll go thru blades twice as fast .....and better learn how to do spindle bearnings

[Edited by theleven on 04-09-2001 at 05:39 PM]

8. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

thanks to all for your input. The sand area has Bahia (prob mispelled that)and it is about 10K sq ft. It is part of a neighborhood common area. Along with this area is the entrance area - all total it would take me and a helper 1 hour and pays $95/visit (42 week/annual contract =$4000/yr). Furthermore, it could be the gateway to 4 other similar jobs. Makes you have to decide if the good out weighs the bad.

9. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I live in the desert, about half of what I mow is sandy.
    Do these places have any irrigation systems? If they do, my advice ( if you want to do them ) is to set it up to where you are mowing about 30 minutes to an hour after they are watered. It keeps the sand down and is not so wet that it sticks to everything. If it has irrigation, or a way in which it can be watered talk the management into reseeding the sand patches. Thus allieveating the problem.