1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Saturdays and Sundays?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscapes, Feb 15, 2008.

1. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

I know there are a fair amount of young guys on here.... So I will pose the question.

How do you feel about mowing on Saturday and Sunday? I find that it is absolutely necessary during the school year and once summer comes jobs can go to weekdays until fall.

How do you usually tell your customers? How do they respond? What times do you mow?
  2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I do this part time and my customers are OK with evenings and weekends !!
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i never cut on sunday. its the only day that i absolutely refuse to work. got to have some family time or you'll burn out quick.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we don't do it, the last thing my clients want on a Sat morn is to hear blowers/mowers. and even if they didn't mind their neighbors would go crazy. commercial is ok
  5. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

mow alot on saturday. only on sunday if customer requests it.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

... never on Sunday on residential properties. Sunday is a day off the regular work schedule, and should be held out as separate. I never see a LCO on the roads or in neighborhoods on Sunday. The customers would be hostile to such an idea.

With all the discussions on LS about how professionalism is important, I am confused why any LCO would show up at a residential property to work on a Sunday.

I have read threads about needing to work on Sunday to make money in the business. If that is the case, then a review of the business plan is in order. Something is wrong in the balance of lifestyle.
  7. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

I play baseball in the mornings on Saturday.... so unfortunately that means I end up cutting 1 PM and after.... so that's only about 5 hours there. I can ususlly get in 3-5 hours a week, and then Sunday is left. I really DON'T want to work on Sunday... especially Sunday morning.... but I don't have much of a choice.

I have found that people are generally okay with it. Lots of customers are not around on the weekends or working, and I have noticed that that number keeps going up. However, I would never start on a Sunday until, say, 12 pm.
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Monday through Friday all day everyday. We try to never work weekends unless its absolutely necessary, like raining all week long or a job that needed to be competed on Friday and ran over.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You certainly do have a choice. You have made other things a priority, namely baseball. What other service provider comes to a residence on Sunday, especially Sunday morning (except in an emergency)?
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

When I say weekends, generally speaking, I mean on Saturdays !!