Mowing Schedules

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greatlawns, Jun 4, 2007.

1. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Just curious how many of you have specific shedules for every house on your route and if you ever deviate from them depending on weather, landscaping jobs that run long, equipment problems, etc. If so, what do you do? Do you just pick up the schedule the next day?

How many of you cut someone's lawn no matter what? Whether it really needs it or not, you just cut it. I'm from the school of thought that we won't mow if it doesn't really need it or it will be damaged by the sun.

Any customers ever object? Anyone ever complain that you change your cut days?

2. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

To Stay In Biz You Need To Have A Strict Schedule. If You Wait To Cut A Lawn When It Needs It Or The Homeowner Asks You Wont Last. You Can Also Tell That To The Homeowners. Ever Week Is Every Week, Every Two Weeks Is Every Two Weeks. On Weekly Cuts I Might Skip Them Here And There Like In Aug When Its Really Dry (but) With My Decision. Good Luck

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'll 2nd that.. You won't make anything if you cut when it needs it.

4. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I deviate, change, adjust my mowing schedule quite a bit for various reasons. I mow 3 days a week and do landscaping the rest of the week. The're are too many scheduling conflicts to mow the same day every week. All adjustments are at my discretion. I get no complaints. As for skipping, I'll skip due to extremes (too dry, too wet), but again, it's at my discretion. If the ONLY service I provided was mowing... Yes, strict schedule.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I always start out on Monday with a pretty good plan. Lawns are always scheduled for the same day of each week... but sometimes the schedule gets a little off and I am a day early or a day late sometimes...

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a strict schedule that I follow every week. The only way it changes is due to weather. Everything gets done every week regardless of whether or not it needs it.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

We follow a strict schedule and only make changes as clients are added. 99% of our lawns are irrigated so they get mowed weekly. Those that aren't may get skipped during hot, dry months but customers are aware of this in advance and priced accordingly.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

explain that please

9. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Wouldnt that be a waste of time, fuel for equipment, etc if you cut the grass and it DOES NOT need it? Why not just say "This is your day of the week. If I feel as though it does not need cutting on a certain week thats up to me." and then still charge weekly. Wouldnt that save you money?

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I mow/bed maintenance 3 days a week and do install/repair 2 days a week. If I get rained out, I can always push back install and repair.