mowing season, Beging and end Michigan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ozman, Aug 23, 2001.

1. ozman

ozman LawnSite Member

I am new to michigan state and moved my lawn business. I need to know when do you start mowing and when to end. Iam thinking april to middle of october is this correct if not. When shall I start and end.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds right down in alabama, not sure about up there though

3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Several members from Michigan, I sure one will have the info you need.

I just wanted to welcome you to Lawnsite, seeing this was your first post!

Welcome aboard! :blob4: :blob3: :blob1:

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to Lawnsite. I am across the pond from you and we start around April 1st to the 15th, depending on when the grass starts growing, to usually the end of October. We mulch leaves into the end of November.

5. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

Well you are right in usually starting in April but the middle of October can get cold and occassionally snowy. I would say normally the end of September would be more accurrate. Last year we had snow by the first part of November and it lasted till the end of March. Welcome to Michigan and Lawnsite, good luck.::)

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I figure "Weekly mowing" from Mid April-Oct. This comes to 28 weeks.

Spring cleanups start Around April 1st.

Fall cleanups start Nov 1st (Of course I have been picking up leaves all of Oct.) This is just the final Cleanup.

I would plan to mow through Oct. Yes it may snow in Oct but then the next day may be 75deg. Around here the grass grows through Oct.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have spent some winter in Michigan with my winter trucking job. Don't know how you people stand it up there year after year. Windy, frigid, snow. Better just get you a plow to go with that lawn biz. Don't know how you can make much of a living with the short cutting season

8. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

charles,,, how come you dont think that we can make much money with such a short cutting season?? Ever think that snowplowing is probably twice as profitable then cutting grass? Well, i tend to make double plowing then "cutting grass". I love michigan!!! No hurricanes here!!!

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Grassman, that is what Charles was saying.

After cutting season you guys start building snowmen. No thanks, I'll stick to leaves all winter. Tooooo Cold for me.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is also not to mention, that since the mowing isn't all year long, bidding season isn't all year long, and in general, many rates are quite a bit higher up here than in the south. As far as Fall cleanup, that's the tricky one, because it's so unpredicable. Like it was mentioned, we were rather cut short last year, but there have been many years when I've worked right on up past Thanksgiving. Except for last year, usually when we get a snow, that isn't the end of the season. There is still plenty of work to do. Also, if you do get all your cleanups done, and there is still some workable weather ahead, it is SO EASY to go out and get Fall cleanups that people still haven't got to themselves, yet. This can be done by just driving around and knocking on some doors when you see a mess.:cool: