1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing season beginning for northern states

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 25, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone out there from IA, MI, MN, WI or as far north cutting grass yet? Things really greened up here this week and I might start cutting next week. But, looks like cold weather for the next few days and it has been overly rainy and wet (flooding in IA in fact).
  2. Jake

Jake LawnSite Member
    from Ia

I have just started cutting some of my lawns. It will be blades a spinin next week. We just got 3 inches of rain over the last 36 hours. The big lco's have been out trying to mow for about two weeks.
  3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Start next week. We have been hitting cleanups hard for 2 weeks and this week we we're cutting enough grass that we needed to take the trimmers off the trailer to finish up like a regular mowing.
  4. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

looks like the week of the 5th most likely
  5. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Week of the 5th for us. Some lawns will be ready this week. But with all this rain, we haven't finished our cleanups, and I really hate trying to do cleanups and mow in the same week. We've done it, but its a big pinta.Plus with this 30 degree weather, the grass is still gonna need a couple warm days to really pop up.
  6. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Still cleaning up but i will start mowing most this week, We just had 2 nice days of rain and did it ever green up nice!!!!
  7. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

We started mowing a couple here in eastern iowa last week and the rest of them this week. It will be back into the 30s and 40s this week though:cry: Some of the larger lcos have been mowing for two weeks though, don't know exactly why there definately wasn't much coming out of the chute but dust.
  8. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

started mowing last week in Toledo ohio area and picked up lots of new accounts so far
  9. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

You are right about the flooding DA, people down here are putting sandbags all around low spots. Just glad I'm on a big hill and none of my customers are in low lying areas. We got a LOT of rain today and had 3 tornados close by too!
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

kart - will be praying for you and those affected by the high waters and rough weather down there. My brother went to StA and helped sandbag one year when it was rainy and flooding, and I can picture the same going on now....