Mowing season in Central Tennessee

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cmos123, Oct 12, 2010.

1. cmos123

cmos123 LawnSite Member

I currently live in Austin Texas, and I have been considering moving to Tennessee. Does anyone here know how long the mowing season is there? Here in Austin it starts around the middle of March and starts to slow the 1st of Oct. Before I plan my move I would like to know the exact mowing season. Thanks.
  2. Kernelpanic

Kernelpanic LawnSite Member

Middle of April to the end of September.. roughly
  3. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I started April 1 and ended last week but it was really dry here if it had been normal it wouldve lasted a few weeks longer
  4. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

I started around the second week of April. As previously stated, if we had some rain, it would last through about the third week of October. I mowed a couple of lawns today but it has been two weeks since I did any mowing. Last year I had a few that wanted service through Thanksgiving week. I would have thought Texas would have had a longer season by a few weeks but maybe not.
  5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

if I have overseeded with ryegrass I start mowing middle of march. AS has been stated, if we'd been getting the rain, we'd still be mowing here. Season pretty well died about three weeks ago here. We are getting some decent rain this evening but it's too little too late. Did some overseeding today so it will help in that regard.
  6. dustinnice

dustinnice LawnSite Member

beginning of april to mid october on the cumberland plateau
  7. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

1st of April haven't mowed in two weeks. Prolly get 1 more cut on all. Had a handful of installs and cleanups so far and expect a few more
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. cmos123

cmos123 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info guys. It seems to be pretty close to the same season.
  9. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Are you wanting to move just for a longer mower season or is that a big part of your decision?
  10. Southern Lawn Maintenance

Southern Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Same here as the others have said. This year started first of April and havnt really did anything the past 2-3 weeks. Did get some rain last night finally.