Mowing Season, # of cuts on contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Nov 5, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Again I know this has been discussed but Icouldnt find exactly what I was looking for in the search.

I am looking into getting info as to how you set up your mowing contracts. I am specifically referring to those in the north where the need for mowing varies greatly throughout the season. Spring is often, fall is slow, summer is slow too.

I have been told in my area (S.E. Wisconsin) 26 cuts is a standard but I am seeing our season more like 28 -30 weeks long. How can it average to only 26cuts? I personally would rather set an account up for 30 cuts and give a refund at the end of the year so i dont have to explain my extra cuts? Am I wrong in assuming the customer would rather know what they are getting up front and be happy to take some money back at the end of the year?

Also do you factor in leaf removal as an extra automatically because I would guess if they hire you for the mowing they will hire you to clean the leaves off too? I just am looking into how to set up my first accounts over this winter.

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

northern states about 36 per year
    southern states 46-52 per year

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A long time ago it used to be 20-22 and then it went to 24-28, but every time this thread comes up it gets a little deeper... :laugh:

Strange, my average is way below any of that...

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Fed and State govt. properties operate under a 24 cut per season contract around here. I do have a church under contract and they budget for 30+ cuts per season, but they also irrigate the turf. Most residential around here are in the 24-26 range per season.

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Probably, the average number of cuts performed would run around 24 to 26. The average number of weeks that the season will extend over, would probably be at least 30. It would depend greatly on whether or not customer uses irrigation of some sort as to how often you will actually need to cut. Your best bet would either be to charge a flat monthly fee (cut or no cut) that extends over the 30 week period, or average the amount of weeks that YOU are able to cut per year in your area.

6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

i base on 28 cuts, except some of them need more than that if they are fertalized w/ sprinklers and stuff.. i think it just depends on the lawn...

and btw if they sign up for 28 with a year round billing plan, and i cut 26, they aren't going to get a refund..

7. I don't think I could specify the exact number of mowings there will be in any particular year. Especially on a lawn I'm not familiar with.
    If I did promise say 28 mowings for the whole year. What's to keep that customer from signing up for six applications of liquid nitrogen from TGCL?
    I mow every 5 days in the spring. Then slow down thru the summer. I schedule everything possible for the fall like bed renovation and core aeration to help even out the schedule.
    I'd definitely schedule them for leaf disposal too. It's suprising how many customers just "expect" the leaves to disappear. Plus you'll need the work in the fall to fill out the schedule.
    I'm scheduleing "leaf disposal" on a regular schedule like mowing. On a weekly schedule. I put on a mulching baffel and mow like normal. You can incorporate more leaves into the soil that way without them being as noticeable. If you wait until they're all down before dealing with them you chance having them get wet or even frozen to the ground.

8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

32 min. here in Tn.

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We do 38 cuts per year on some and 42 cuts per year on others. It depends on the amount of leaves whether we come once a week in Nov. and Dec.