Mowing season sooner than thought this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy35, Mar 8, 2012.

1. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

I'm in Iowa, and the rest of this week is supposed to be in the 50's, and next week in the 60's and 70's. Last year my first mow was around April 4th, but it looks like things could be starting sooner this year. Anyone else thinking this could be an early season in the midwest?

2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not in the midwest but I'm in the mountains of NC and I did a few mowings the last week of Feb. I usually get started the last week in March so I'm about a month early.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I can definately see this year being an earlier year than usual, but only by a week or two for me. I usuallly get out by the first week in April and start clean-ups and then am mowing weekly by May 1st.

If the temps keep getting warmer and stay that way, I can see myself out mowing by mid April and starting cleanups before March is over.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I started some mowing the last week of Feb. It's picked up little every week since.

5. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I just saw on the news last night that this has been the 4th warmest winter since 1901. We are definitely about a month ahead of schedule on lawn mowing and weeds here.

6. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

That means winter will be here earlier next season !

7. Hansen's Lawn Care

Hansen's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Similar situation here in Woodbury, MN (twin cities.) Starting Saturday it's going to be mid 50's to low 60's for at least the next 12 days. I'm thinking I'll be doing clean ups by the end of the month and mowing hopefully the first week of April.

Up here we can easily see snow still at the end of March so we'll see.

Hansen's Lawn Care

8. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts also. I hope to start my cleanups by the end of march, and start mowing maybe mid-april.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

started about a month earlier this year (mid feb). mostly weeds growing so far. last year started mid march.

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

The spring of 2010 I was out dethatching by March 31. Last spring was terrible, did my first dethatching job on April 22, so anything earlier than that and I'll be happy! All we need is good moisture to get things off to a good start!