Mowing Section 8 properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andover Landscape Co., Sep 19, 2012.

1. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

Is there allot of people mowing Section 8 apartments? I had a few questions.

What are the negatives??

What are their payment terms 30/60/90?

Do they pay?

Who is doing the actual paying. In other words who's name is on the check?

Do they try to low ball ya?

Do they jump from contractor to contractor?

I have a offer to pick up two complexes both are section 8. One is seniors only and the other is about 400units with 11 buildings.
  2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I just picked up some apartments and I assume they are section 8's

Lot of cars and people around all the time.
    They are not too picky but the litter and trash on the property is bad.
    I hope to get paid... they just now asked for an W9 so I assume they are processing my first months bill. Just turned in my second invoice.
    End of the month will be the second month of service.

Already had one broken sliding door claim. First broken window in 7 years.

I hope they pay but not sure I will stay on the much past spring if we can not get the place cleaned up (IE Rocks).
  4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

That is about all there is in my little town. I mowed one for several years that was privately owned. This year they sold and the maintenance company stared using the guy they had for other properties. Well the new owner did not like the way it looked after they took over so I got it back [with a raise] along with a Senior living area the other guy was doing also. So far one places check is about 10 days before due date and the other is right on time. However, there are a couple of the apartments that I have been called to bid on and I won't even give them one. If they are a dump with new people all the time there is probably a reason, but if they look pretty good it might be fine like some of mine.
  5. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd skip it. They'd love for a pebble to hit their car.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't touch a section 8 property for many reasons. Theft is huge around those places and I have ZERO tolerance for thieves. Next is they are all littered with god knows what. The folks that live they have no pride where they live and are on the government dole. I suspect many of them would look for a way to sue you if so much as a pebble came flying their way, let alone hit them. And lastly, I wouldn't want my trucks or equipment be seen on a POS property like that.
  7. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I have never had anyone file a claim on me. Is that done by the tenant or the property manager. i forgot to ad that the manager is a friend. Dont u have to have cash to file a claim?
  8. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Here it really depends, but a lot of the section 8 stuff is ok and is not too trashed out. I saw it up for bid this spring in the paper but read about it after the bidding was up. They edge and all. Its definitively not high end but looks a lot better than a lot of stuff.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Some I will mot touch, but the ones I do are over half my income. Like you said, not all of ours are bad. In fact some look a lot nicer than some private bizzs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. I totally agree. I'm not saying that all of them are clean and look perfect but many of them are decent...about the same quality as fast food places if not a little bit better.