Mowing Section 8 properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andover Landscape Co., Sep 19, 2012.

1. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I have never had anyone file a claim on me. Is that done by the tenant or the property manager. i forgot to ad that the manager is a friend. Don't u have to have cash to file a claim?

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't mow any place with section 8 tag. Those buildings are slumlord run and even the slumlord don't get paid on time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

They generally don't like "rules", i.e. pooper scooper rules, putting garbage in garbage cans etc.

For instance it's not uncommon to see little piles of garbage on each side of a parking spot, where it's obvious they had cleaned out their car, but getting it out of their car was as far as they got. You'll see signs begging them not to throw garbage on the ground, clean up after their pets, not to have drug parties in the parking lots etc. Doesn't matter. It might be a cultural difference, or they just don't have time for such rules. That bein said, if you can deal with a little hassle, keep an eye on your stuff & keep everything locked down tight, money's MONEY! GIT-R-DUN!

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. Some of you guys must really be desperate for business. No offense intended. It's just that we don't even do any commercial work at all because the field is just chocked full of low-ballers, there's no loyalty, profit margins are less than half what they are in the resi. market, you never get paid on time, and then you have to worry about all the calls from the 400 different people who live in the apartments bitching at you because you came too early, forgot to blow off their patio, didn't prune the shrub by their front door, ran over Junior's tennis ball, etc.

But even if I did take on commercial work the LAST thing I'd ever take on was a Section 8 housing complex. I'd be too worried about getting car-jacked, held up, stuff stolen, mowing over used condoms and use drug paraphernalia PLUS I'd still have to worry about all the stuff above and about whether they are going to pay me on time.

No spank you! I'd rather you just come over to my house, kick me square in the yam bag and take $500 from me than take on a section 8 property.

5. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

Nice !!! Well a friend of mine will be taking over the two properties as "property manager" in a couple weeks. I'm not to worried about getting paid, or having my bid shot down for that matter.
    After reading this thread I think my main worry is people filing claims on me for dumb stuff
    I guess my question now is. Who does the actual claim filing? The tenant or the property? If its the property then I should be fine, or at least it will be a legit claim. But if its the tenant then I should still be fine because they could fill out a job application just as easy as filing a claim on me.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If this place has tons of shady people and looks like a crap hole you might want to skip, but if it looks pretty good and the people seem ok do not worry. I know some say run but not all these are bad places. Like I have said, some I will not even give a bid to and some I like. The one place I have done 05, 06, 07, 09, 2010, 11 and 12 without ever having a complaint, claims or late payment. This is one of the places I lost for a couple of months this year when it sold. The new owner paid them a visit and said it looked like crap and to get me back, so I also got a raise and another property.

Some are crap

Some are not
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Resi is where it's at here too. HOA is utter trash and lowball ville. Some commercial can be ok, but usually sane issue. I strictly go resi and love it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It would be nice is Residential was a year round prospect for those of us not in Florida. We in Texas do well with 7 months of full service and 2 of partial service. Glad we do not have to plow.

I like me some commercial mixed in.

9. Isn't south Texas year round?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The parts that are not the desert might be. I would not want to live in either one :D

North Central Texas here. :waving: