Mowing service only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Nov 16, 2005.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone had success with a "mowing only" business model. No fertilization, mulching, cleanups, etc., it seems as though a high volume cost controlled mowing service could be very profitable. What method(s) of billing seem to work best? We have been doing primarily monthly billing, but as our volume increases so has our risk of non-payers. Has anyone implemented a "pay per service" billing method? Thank you for your imput.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I bill in advance for the month. For me its the only way to go.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Justmowits site its all he does and makes good $$ doing it that way!!!

4. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

For all of my 34 accounts (first season) I bill monthly, Send em all out the last day of every month, get them back by the 15th. We just mow, trim, hedge trimm, and grass\leaf removal. Havent had a problem with no pays yet.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I think I should almost do that. Bill fixed yearly pricing. You would almost have to include leaves I think.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

where is the site? I am curious

7. TLC Lawn Care

TLC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My business primarily services lawns only. My demographic targeting areas are high end homes / elderly customers. I bill out at the end of the month with a 15th of the month due date. I strictly adhere to my policy of assessing late charges of 15% if payment is received beyond the 15th. On a $400 dollar invoice, that's an additional $60 in late fees. Since I have implemented this policy, I have not had any problems with late payments.

Communication is key to success in this business. I have seen a lot of companies in our profession just show up on a job site, service the lawn, and move on to the next without even a simple wave to the homeowner. These guys don't seem to stay around very long. Develop a rapport with your customer. It's amazing how much 'word of mouth' advertising you can receive for just a few minutes of your time.

8. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Attracting and keeping new customers is a game. New customers want to check you out too. it may take time to move them to a payment method that suits you after they are satisfied with your service. High volume monthly billing is scarry waiting for your money. You realy have little recource to collect without spending a lot of time and money. New customes need to be evaluated for credit just like any other business if you are giving them credit. Cut a few times and get paid for each cut before you bill them monthly. I have my customers leave a check taped to the inside of the storm door each week or pre-apy for 2 or 4 cuts. The BEST way to go is paypal or get a credit card machine and let them be the credtors for high volume billing. the money you give up to these services is well worth the lack of collection hassle.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pre bill is the only way to go, and another trick for cash flow is bill out twice a month some clients on the 15th and some on the 1st then there is always $$$ rolling in. Name another business that lets you recieve a service for 30 days and then allows you to pay the bill. Can't speak for the mow only service but there seem to be others on the site that are strictly mow services, Flexdeck comes to mind.