1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Slopes with a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by erervin, Feb 13, 2008.

1. erervin

erervin LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I just purchased a Hustler Super Z 25hp 66" ZTR and I'm planning on using it to mow my pond dam. It's roughly a 25% grade and at times may be a bit more. I had been using my New Holland boomer tractor with 72" MMM and had no problems but have since sold the mower.

What is the steepest slope you've mowed using your riding ZTR? After researching, it's clear that mid-mounts are better than front-runners on slopes. Any pictures?
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Check with Hustler, but I think the steepest they recommend is 23* We use a Ventrac with 8 tires for our really steep stuff.
  3. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Please use r o p s! I know it looks dorky but the same thing has happen here in NC a few times. A few men mowing around ponds have rolled there mowers and it traped them under water. I believe this is why they have made the factorys instal them new! I dont use it but my lawns are all flat except fo a few.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, if the tractor was stable on the slope ok, then the Hustler will do fine. It may want to slide in places though.

Oh, what's a 72" MMM? and where are you at in kansas? :waving:
  5. erervin

erervin LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

The New Holland tractor had a 914a mid mount mower (MMM).

I live near Burlington, KS. 60 miles South of Topeka.
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

He means a belly mower.
  7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Super Z's are great on slopes. You'll first need to become acquainted with your new machine... then you should have no trouble at all. In high grade areas, you may find that it's best to go up the hill at a 45 degree angle(orient the machine so that the wheels are on the cusp of wanting to go down hill)... then back down your next track. On REALLY big grades, You'll probably have to sled down the hill if you have a safe "landing" area, that is! Just ease her down as slowly as possible... when you start sliding... just ease the controls foward until your wheels are turning as fast as you are sliding... then bleed the speed off. Your super z's high speed wheel motors are especially good for this.