1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing slopes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 28, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

There is this hill in the middle of a two acre lot. Its about 15 ft high and 80 ft across. Would it be better to

a) circle around the hill working up to the peak or
    b) go straight up and over the hill continuing my straight lines with the rest of the lawn?​
  2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

Are you hitting the ground or scalping the grass when you go straight over continuing your stripes?

If not keep going straight over
  3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

2 ways to cutting slopes, always start from bottom and work your way to the top. Another way is to cut is at a 45 degree angles alternating each time you mow. This will give lawn diamond stripes, GOOD LUCK.
  4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

mow a counter clockwise lap around the hill on the ground. then mow opposite direction on the hill. if you do decide to mow straight on you wont miss the gap between the ground and hill. this said if there is no scalping.
  5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned the hard way of cutting on hill, barrel rolled a John Deere 2210 down one. So use some extra caution while doing this, I used to be a little nervous after that. But with that grade you should be fine. Try going straight over if you do scale try it on a angle.
  6. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

1. Carry a compressed air tank
    2. Let about 1/2 the air out of the rear tires on the ZTR
    3. Adjust your cut height so you don't scalp since the mower will sit lower
    4. Mow the hill which ever way you wish
    5. Re air up your tires.
    6. Re adjust your cut height
    7. Finish cutting the rest of the lawn.

Alternate solution -- Us a Hydro Snapper Walk-Behind with Accutrack like I do and your problem is solved. I cut 40 degree pond banks (not an exaggeration) perpendicular to the sloop, and never spin or slip (even when wet). Some of you may say what you will about Snapper, but I love their Walk-Behind, and believe they have the best one out there for power to weight ratio, ability to leave a beautiful cut, and work on hills like no other mower I have used in the past 15 years, and I have used several different ones from different manufactures. In all fairness I will say the only thing I don't like about the Snappers is they don't have electric start. I guess I'll have to keep strong to pull the cord once for every start, because that is all it has ever taken.