mowing slopes

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Rtom45, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Along with various other equipment, we have 2 Turf Tracers which we use 5 or 6 days a week during mowing season (Erie, PA.) How steep a slope can we expect to cut without having problems? I ask because today one of the guys blew an engine while working on hillsides. Our mechanic checks everything daily, so lack of oil, or too much oil, would not seem to be the problem. Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rtom45,

Sorry to hear about your engine. I talked to the guys at Kohler and they said 25 degrees is the maximum for the vertical shaft engines.

25 degrees doesnÂ’t sound like much until you actually measure out a 25-degree slope. It's pretty steep. The issue with exceeding the 25 degrees is starving the oil pickup in the crankcase. If the terrain is rough the bouncing of the machine on steeper slopes could cause the oil to splash away from the pick up compounding the problem. The oil pump will then try to pump air if oil isn't available at the pick up thus starving the engine of lubrication.

It's possible you were on too steep of a hill but I would have the engine looked at by a qualified technician. They should be able to narrow down the cause of the failure if not diagnose it with a reasonable amount of certainty.

Thanks

Terry