Mowing Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ParksLandscaping, Feb 14, 2001.

1. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have two riders. I am wondering what I what is the average mowing speed of these machines. One is a Kees and the other one is a Bob Cat. I am wanting to use the mowing estimator, to see how close it comes to what I price a job at. Thanks

David Parks

PARKS LANDSCAPING & SNOW SERVICE

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

hey dave average mowing speed is approx. 7mph, or if u are crazy on the maybe 9mph

3. dan35

dan35 LawnSite Member

In South Alabama the old lady’s would freak out if you cut at 9mph!!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If they question you about speed, you just have to educate them the the newer commercial mowers are designed for faster mowing speeds. Just tell them it will cost them more money if they want you to mow a slow speeds. :)

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

According to the brochure I have the Bobcat's top speed is 8 MPH. I have no info on the Kees and their website is down for reconstruction.

6. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am not looking for top speed...mowing speed. The speed at which you get a very high quality cut.

Thanks

David Parks

PARKS LANDSCAPING & SNOW SERVICE

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I remember right, Chuck Sinclair calculated in for turning and other things, you just put in the speed of the mower. I feel my DC cuts as good at full speed as half speed. I cut most of my lawns as fast as I can go and I've never had any complaints on the quality of cut.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My dixie chopper can mow at 10 mph,I mow my yard at 10 mph-wherever its smooth enough.Paying customers,i slow a little on the front and highly visible areas,just so its perfect,the mower does not cut as good at 10 mph as it does at 6-7,you can see the occasional missed peice of grass,especially where the front tire went,at 10 mph- 6-7 mph,it doesnt miss a peice of grass.In the back and on industrials,on fire lanes and behind buildings its wide open.From a distance or in a picture the cut looks the same at full speed,but walking by or looking good I can easily notice the difference.I use razor sharp blades,this helps a lot too.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

ParksLandscaping wrote:

Your individual mowing speeds are subjective.
    How tall is the grass?
    How much are you cutting off?
    What kind of grass are you cutting?
    Is the grass thick or thin?
    Are you talking about cutting at the beginning of the season, during the summer drought or at the end?
    How often do you sharpen the blades?
    What do you consider to be a very high quality cut?
    Is the grass wet or dry?
    What kind of blades are on the mower?