Mowing steep banks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLEANCUT007, Apr 26, 2008.

1. CLEANCUT007

CLEANCUT007 LawnSite Member

What do you guys think is the best piece of equipment for mowing steep banks? Would a walk behind be the best option? i have picked up a big church with 4 of the nastiest banks you have ever tried to work on and i am doing my best with a 52" ZTR right now and push mowing or weedeating the areas i just cant get on.. any advice would be appreciated..

2. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i've put a lot of thought into this for a future machine and what i have come up with is a smaller walk-behind, and i think pistol grips would be the best option to have the best control...i'm thinking about a 36" toro, BUT i really like the new T2 t-bar controls, i just think that having pistol grips would be the best option, especially with a floating deck for scalping reasons for using on hills...i now have a 48" JD walk behind with pistol grips and i like the control, it's just a little big, i don't see how ANY other type of control, especially the old t-bar could give you control once you start to slip...riders will just tear it up and stand-ons i hear don't have great control on hills...a 36" floating deck hydrostat toro walk-behind also runs $5700, so i hope i make the right choice...

36" Walk-Behind
    Floating Deck
    Pistol Grips

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Of course a walkbehind is the best machine for the job. A hydro would be even better. Get that Z off the bank before someone gets hurt.
    I can't imagine not having at least a 36" walkbehind on the trailer.
    I have 3 walkbehinds on my trailer right now.

4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

keep the z and get a 36 inch walk behind for the steep banks. This is what I am doing

5. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

use my stander on steep banks and love it!!

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

my 48" exmark tthp is a beast on the steep hills. i only wish it had more weight on the front, that will solve my problems completely.

7. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I have 2 accts with steep inclines and I use an old encore 36 pistol grip I picked up this year slapped new drive belts and it will hold the hill awsome, it's the only 2 jobs it is used for as of now.