1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing steep grades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lombardi, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

For the guys that mow steep pond dams or grades that are too severe for your regular mowers, what do you use? Pictured below is what I currently use, but I just wanted other ideas. Thanks.
    Polaris 400 Sportsman, 44" Swisher Trailmower w/ 10.5 hp B/S.
  2. Lombardi

Oops. Here's the picture.

pond bank mower.jpg
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Than a ZTR?

I used to ride 4 wheelers as a kid and they were never good on hills. They're too topheavy.

I'd rather by on my Lazer than a 4 wheeler on a steep hill.
  4. Lombardi

The pond banks I use this on are too steep for my ZTR. I have to use 4WD to make it up. The terrain is also too rugged for a ZTR. I have only come close to tipping over once and that was because my downhill side tires went into a big groundhog hole. I jumped off and walked it the rest of the way before it tipped
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My arsenal includes 52" hydro Scag w/b and sulky, 21" Toro s/p w/b, and a Stihl FS80 trimmer. I use whichever one is fastest and easiest on any given instance. Scag and sulky goes on anything you can safely stand on (pull sulky off if wet or rough), 21" lets you be down or uphill of where you are actually cutting which is sometimes helpful, and same for the trimmer which is best on ground that is way too rough to put a mower on (big clumps of dirt, rocks, holes, etc).
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If I can't use a WB or trimmer, I don't want the job. No job is worth taking the chance of getting hurt by it.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

My Gravely walk-behind tractor with mower deck, or 30" bush hog, and dual wheels will go up a hill too steep for a goat.
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I sub the job out to a friend that has an Aebi tractor with a front flail cutter.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here minus the trimmer part.
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

My scag 52" walk behind will slide sideways before it tips. I have a few steep places I do with it. Just walk it instead of riding the sulky and I always turn facing the up hill side versus down (Never point a w/b down steep hills). I can tell you a story about that one, but Id' rather forget it:cool: