1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing STEEP hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

We have a condo complex that we mow and once a year around this time we must weedwhack the hill behind the units. The hill is probably 600 yards long by 40 yards wide all high grasses and weeds about 2-3 ft high. We have been forced to send 4-5 guys with whackers all day 7:30-5:30 to take care of this job.

Is there a machine that can handle a hill this steep? any one have one or have pics of one?
  2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Try one of those D.R. mowers they are a walkbehind type mower that can cut through just about anything. Not sure of the price.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

One possible solution is one of those hovermowers (www.hovermower.com). On the other hand, if it's a once-a-year deal, are you sure you want to spring for a piece of equipment you might use only for this job? If the hill is as steep as you make it sound, it might not make sense to put a lot of money into a solution because in some situations, a trimmer is the best way to go.

How much do the man-hours cost you for that once a year? Answer that and you'll know about how much you want to spend on a solution.
  4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

You didn't state the degree of angle,but the Super Z that Hustler makes will beat anything I have seen on hill's!However if the hill is to steep for a ZTR Hustler makes a
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thats one big hill. how steep exactly. post a pic. i do even my steepest hills with my walker. just cant let it get that tall. ive heard of a mower on 2 wheels like a bike, plus deck wheel. it pivots so as deck is sloped on hill, you stay vertical. real $$$$, dont know off hand where to find one. lot of big cities have them.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am thinking a huslter hill sider 640 or the newer 6400. They are one bad mother on hills. Or some type of growth control chemicals.
  8. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

that sounds like the same hill at sinsabough heights the senior home in shelton that i live near
  9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I have one for doing ditches, and it's only got a 22" cut to begin with. Have you checked into sickle-bar units? I'm guessing that the slope is greater than 45 degrees.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member