Mowing technique.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Okay. let's hear how you pro stripers do it.

When you start a job do you do a lap around the perimieter first or do you start right in on the longest straight line and work to the edges and do the lap around teh edge when you are done?

Talking about equipment is fun but let's talk about the work too!!

Keth

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I always made two some times three laps around the edge and then straight lines from there.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I just try not to scalp anything!:D Just joking I do two around the perimeter usually.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i often make the perimeter first...but just habit. often i must admit i'll skip the perimeter...just trim it, and it sometimes looks fine...cant even tell the perimeter was skipped.

i have always thought it made most sense to stripe, then do a clean up pass around...but guys never do it that way

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i usually make one pass around the perimeter, maybe two passes if i dont feel like blowing the road off. then i pick which way i will mow. say if you mow diagnal to the right side one week, mow diagonal to the left next week. basically you just want to keep alternating your patterns, and after awhile, youll get that nice striped look.

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Depending on how thick the grass is or how far it is shooting determines my laps. For the most part I do one lap. When the need arises two sometimes three. When I first started cutting many years ago I did about 100 laps. I used a tractor with a steering wheel. LoLs.
    :sleeping:
    Thank god for ZTR's and Walkbehind.:D

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I usually make one around the perimeter, stripe, then make a second around perimeter next to the first which covers turning marks.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

sometimes going around the perimeter isn't necessary, especially for striping. But if it is, dang it, I do the perimeter last to clean it up.

9. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Well, that is exactly what I was looking for!

If you watch them cutting greens at a golf course you will notice they do the stripes first and when done with striping they go around the edge to clean it up. No messy turn marks.
    It is the way I do it and have noticed very few other lco's doing it.

Might be worth a try for those who don't.

Keth

10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Perimeter twice and then lay down the stripes with the Lazer. I have found that going around twice reduces the need for a true Zero-turn therefore resulting in less turf damage on those yards that are a little thin or wet.