1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing the Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lilbuddy, Mar 21, 2002.

1. lilbuddy

lilbuddy LawnSite Member

When I am mowing a clients lawn, how do I put those mowing lines in the lawn where they look really definite? Does this depend on the texture of the grass or can you make those lines with any type of turf grass?:confused:
  2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

man there is a ton of threads on that. just run a search. there is info on homemade ones,store bought one and so on.
  3. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Look up striping, striping chain or striping roller. Use the search function at the top right of the page.

And welcome to Lawnsite!
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What type of mower do you have? some mowers have been argued to not stripe as nicely. try and do a search on the site for striping, youll find hours of reading material. the easiest way to make stripes, is that you have to make one line, in a straight direction, turn around, and come back right next to the other stripe. then if you want, double cut the grass going the opposite direction or angle, and you will get that checkerboard effect.
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

do a search which i am sure will answer all ur questions, if u have more contact eric, he is the striping king :)
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

related question...kind of...some lawns can best be mowed only in one pattern because of obstacles, size etc...do you have many clients who complain that mowing in the same pattern mostly is not good for the grass...I have one very good client who wants the pattern alternated and its a pain in my neck.
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

mowing in different directions is better for the lawn i believe? so this would fall under the category if u are more concerned about quality over time or not.
  8. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

I picked up the book by David R. Mellor, Picture Perfect
    Mowing Techniques for Lawns, Landscapes, and Sports
    It goes into good detail on how to achive these affects
    you are looking for.

Hope this helps

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

David R. Mellor was nice enough to send me an autographed copy of his book while I was in the Hospital in January. I thought the old gentleman that delivered the mail at the hospital was going to have a heart attack like I had when he delivered the package to me. He said, "You have a package from the Boston RedSox". He was almost screaming when he said it. :D

I thought he was loud when he delivered the Get Well Card from David the week before and saw the Red Sox address on it, but the package really got him excited. In case you didn't know, David is the groundskeeper for Fenway Park, the Boston Red Sox's baseball field. I thought it was very nice of him to send me a card and the book. It's nice to have friends in times like that. ;)
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

My wife bought me Mellor's book for Christmas.

What a good girl she is! (well, most of the time anyway) :)

It is excellent.

BTW: When I unwraped it and took a peek inside the first thing I thought was:

"I wonder if Eric has seen this book yet?" :laugh:

Small world, ain't it?