1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing the same direction?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coach, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

I've been commercial mowing for 5 years. In the begining I was told not to mow the same direction. The start of this season I purchased a roller for my lazer. The stripes are a lot more profound if I mow the same direction each time. In traveling I have noticed other commercial lawns that seem to mow the same pattern each mowing. Any thoughts or reasons for or against would be appreciated...Thanks....

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too rarely change directions. It's too much of a hassle and a waste of time. Plus the customers don't like the change either
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

To begin, I believe you meant pronounced instead of profound. To answer your question the reason for changing direction by 45 degrees is to make the grass stand up making it easier to get an even cut. Cutting the same direction every week causes the grass to lay down.
  4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing in the same direction every week will eventually create ruts in the lawn as well.
  5. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

Work it.. I did mean profound.... but pronounced is a better word... not to get into a english fight... bottom line the stripes stand out better when I mow the same direction...Thanks for the reponses Coach
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

I have 1 yard that I ahve to mow in the same way......it is only about 4 round trip passes with a 36"(8 total paths). The is no way I can change directions. What should I do then?
  8. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

That is the advantages of a hydro, tighter turning radius and instant reverse. Thus allowing for easier directional changes.

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Hydro has nothing to do with it.
  10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

True, but a turn every 18 foot sucks.