Mowing the seeded lawn

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, May 3, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Have lady that called. SHe had her lawn seeded last month or so(Probably longer). I was surprised it germinated under the circumstances. Centipede grass it is. ANy way, she wants me to come and cut it. I told her I would want to wait a couple of week.

I tried to post this on the Renovation forum but all I had was lookers at the thread.

When would be a good time to cut.

2. GreenthumbGA

so I went back and looked and I got one res[onse, told me not to cut more that half and inch off if possible.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I like to see 2-3 inches of growth on a new lawn (seeded or sowed) before I recommend a first cut.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Again this is centipede grass, so I can't say for sure but , up here we cut before i gets too long the same as any other lawn.

I made the rookie error one time of letting it grow, so the root would be well established. But the blades got to the point of suffocating their neighbors.

5. GreenthumbGA

I really just need to cut it.

She wants me to rake up the straw, but I want to recommend that I just mulch it with the clipping and let me spray with tea.

What do you think?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Definately leave it. Removing the straw does more harm than good. Over time makes a nice root mat for the turf.
    Spray with tea or sprinkle with sugar is optional.

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

The one third rule comes to mind. we have also seen that you should not cut any thing for 8 weeks on new seed. can it be left longer, or is the customer jumping to get it cut?

8. GreenthumbGA

I am pretty sure that it will be al least eight weeks by the time I get to it.

Sugar??????

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yeah mon, or powdered molasses

10. GreenthumbGA

how much per k?